1977 Model 7024 Bricktop

2smoked

Threads
After a lot of searching, I finally scored a bricktop model for my collection. This was a Craig's List posting that nearly ended up in a dumpster. It had been sitting for years and all it needed to get running again was a good cleaning of the tank and carb. I installed a new air cleaner element and fixed the rewind. The motor has good compression and is very tight and runs sweet. I've used it twice so far for leaf pick-up. Cosmetically, it's a bit rough but I just might leave it this way. Maybe a repaint in the future. Next spring I will probably bronze bush the wheels and give it a more thorough cleaning. I'm glad I found this because these have not been turning up around here much anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 60

rfWi

Threads
Nice! Actually doesn't look too bad for being almost 40 years old.If you don't mind me asking,what part of the state did you find it?

2smoked

Threads
Nice! Actually doesn't look too bad for being almost 40 years old.If you don't mind me asking,what part of the state did you find it?

The mower was located in Combined Locks, WI. It was removed during a home clean-out, according to the seller. He was going to dispose of it but decided to see if it was something that would sell. He had no idea how old and desirable it was. After I gave him a little education about vintage Lawn Boys, he told me that I will be the first person he calls if he runs across anymore. I hope he does. Throwing good old 2-stroke Lawn Boys in the junk is a crime! Even if the engine is shot, someone can always use the parts. The old saying holds true: One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Lawnboy77

Threads
That's a very nice looking 7024. That was the mower model that got me started in Lawnboys. My father bought one of those new in 1977 and I used it to make money in the summers cutting lawns all over the little town I grew up in. I loved that mower! Thanks for sharing. The closest I have to that 7024 is a 1977 model 5024 and this 7022 below that I really love to.

2smoked

Threads
Thanks LB77. From what I know, the only difference between the 7022 and the 7024 is that the latter came with a bag, rod, and chute, which was also included with my purchase. I just got done using it again today-what a pleasure with today's unseasonably(for Wisconsin)warm temps. Unfortunately for us northerners, our lawn cutting days are fast coming to an end until next spring. BTW, I usually get down to the Dallas area about once a year to visit a daughter and every time I'm there it's hard to head home. It's not that it's bad living here--it's just that winter lasts way too long. I love the sight and feeling of lush green grass on my bare feet. Just can't convince my wife to move there and leave all the snow and seemingly endless cold behind.

Thanks for the picture of your mower and that beautiful lawn it's parked on. I think I'll stare at that photo once in a while during mid January for therapy.

robinb66

Threads
Sweet looks a lot like my 1976 7084 I just got through restoring those old brick tops last forever!!:thumbsup:

Lawnboy77

Threads
Thanks LB77. From what I know, the only difference between the 7022 and the 7024 is that the latter came with a bag, rod, and chute, which was also included with my purchase. I just got done using it again today-what a pleasure with today's unseasonably(for Wisconsin)warm temps. Unfortunately for us northerners, our lawn cutting days are fast coming to an end until next spring. BTW, I usually get down to the Dallas area about once a year to visit a daughter and every time I'm there it's hard to head home. It's not that it's bad living here--it's just that winter lasts way too long. I love the sight and feeling of lush green grass on my bare feet. Just can't convince my wife to move there and leave all the snow and seemingly endless cold behind.

Thanks for the picture of your mower and that beautiful lawn it's parked on. I think I'll stare at that photo once in a while during mid January for therapy.

Thanks 2smoked, I understand what you are saying about the cold and snow. I lived in Denver, CO back in the 80's during my Air Force days and yes it gets to be a drag. It was still some of the best times of my life though. On a side note, I do like the cool season grasses up north much better than our warm season grasses down here.