1975 Briggs & Stratton 2hp side valve ignition upgrade?

Rip Van

Forum Newbie
I have an old Webb lawnmower with a 1975 Briggs & Stratton 2hp side valve engine (easy spin starting). There was no spark visible when turning it over with the recoil? starter rope. Replaced the spark plug, still no spark. I cleaned and checked the points gap, put a drill and socket on the shaft and away it went. The engine stopped after about three quarters of an hour. I was able to start it again with the drill but checking the spark against the casing, it was mostly yellow and jumping from different parts of the electrodes.
I've seen posts about upgrading to electronic ignition for engine # 060102 but my specific engine# 060102 0346-01 isn't listed. I think it was suggested that the kit #394970 would upgrade the ignition on all these engines.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
 
You can fit a points eliminator to any engine
That is the stand alone module that is wired into where the points used to go .
Instructions are in the unit .
 
The kit you are referring has been long time unavailable. Used 591420 ignition coil for the upgrade or the Igniter conversion kit.
 
I have an old Webb lawnmower with a 1975 Briggs & Stratton 2hp side valve engine (easy spin starting). There was no spark visible when turning it over with the recoil? starter rope. Replaced the spark plug, still no spark. I cleaned and checked the points gap, put a drill and socket on the shaft and away it went. The engine stopped after about three quarters of an hour. I was able to start it again with the drill but checking the spark against the casing, it was mostly yellow and jumping from different parts of the electrodes.
I've seen posts about upgrading to electronic ignition for engine # 060102 but my specific engine# 060102 0346-01 isn't listed. I think it was suggested that the kit #394970 would upgrade the ignition on all these engines.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Closest engine number i can get to is 060102-0346-99
1624629411202.png

 
Ahhh. I see the problem it got one those old air vane governors mounted on the coil setups.

Then the item in post #4 is what you will need as long as your coil itself is good.
 
Back
Top