Export thread

18HP craftsman mower with B&S engine......can't identify part

C

charlesshepard

I have an older Craftsman 18hp mower with B&S engine. The connecting rod shattered during a backfire, and when I opened the crankcase I found a small part lying on the bottom that I can't identify. It is a C shaped piece of aluminum aprox. 1.5" x .75" x .25" thick. It has a hairpin spring on one end. It shows signs of being struck by connecting rod pieces, but does not look to be broken off something. I cannot figure out where this part goes, or find it in any of the parts diagrams. Can someone help with this?

GetTechnicalWithJd

GetTechnicalWithJd

From the description you have given it is probably part of the decompressor mechanism which is mounted on he camshaft.

Post a Photo if you can.

EDIT: If it is the decompresor mechanisms the part you descibe is not available loose and you would need to replace the entire camshaft

C

charlesshepard

OK....that seems to fit. It appears to have been clipped to the camshaft and secured with a pin. I can't figure out which way it should be oriented or how it activates anything. anybody got a photo or description of what it should look like when in place? I suspect there must be other parts that I did not find.

From the description you have given it is probably part of the decompressor mechanism which is mounted on he camshaft.

Post a Photo if you can.

EDIT: If it is the decompresor mechanisms the part you descibe is not available loose and you would need to replace the entire camshaft

R

Rivets

If you would post you engine numbers, I can probably find you a service manual.

C

charlesshepard

mower = 917.272762
engine = 31M777 type number 0234-E1