Export thread

17.5 hp motor won't start

N

Nosnow

I have a kid lawn mower with a 17.5 LUV motor was running on. Son said there was a loud pop and then it died. It will turn over and pops once in a while won't start. Any ideas

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

We need a model number of the engine and what kind it is...........

N

Nosnow

It is a 17.5 I/C OHV
Family YBXSX.50112GO. 274826
If there is anything else you need let me know

T

Tinkerer200

I have a kid lawn mower with a 17.5 LUV motor was running on. Son said there was a loud pop and then it died. It will turn over and pops once in a while won't start. Any ideas

Remove the valve cover and examine the valve action. Are the push rods in place? Not bent? Valves work? Both move the same amount? Would suspect thrown rod except you would not get an occasional pop if that were the case. I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like, address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Check the flywheel key.

T

Tinkerer200

It is a 17.5 I/C OHV
Family YBXSX.50112GO. 274826
If there is anything else you need let me know

From the further description it will be a 31 serious but that is not the model number which will be stamped into the valve cover starting with 31.

Walt Conner

N

Nosnow

Thanks for all your help. Took the cover off and cleaned out a rats nest off old clippings
Got it to run but still hard to start

L

Luffydog

Might need to adjust your valves to spec.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

No Snow I think he mean't the Valve cover not the air shroud cover, but you did great by taking the air shroud off and finding the nest....That should be done every spring anyway...

That's the main culprit for a lot of blown engines on mowers.........

Explain more on running hard.......

Let us know mon ami .........

N

Nosnow

On guys here we go again
My Intel 17.5 wouldn't run. Found a bent push for and replaced it now it turns over but backfires through the carburetor any ideas

Russ2251

Russ2251

Check/Set valve lash. This has already been mentioned.

N

Nosnow

Engine is model 31c707. Type 0154e1

N

Nosnow

The link took me to a video of a fast go cart cool but didn't help

S

shiftsuper175607

On guys here we go again
My Intel 17.5 wouldn't run. Found a bent push for and replaced it now it turns over but backfires through the carburetor any ideas

Did you set the valves correctly after you replaced the push rod?
Finding TDC with spark plug removed.

Spark plug may be fouled from backfire.

N

Nosnow

I think I adjusted values correctly turns over easy so I think it's engaging the compression release

Russ2251

Russ2251

The link took me to a video of a fast go cart cool but didn't help
That's my signature...nothing to do with my posting.

I think I adjusted values correctly turns over easy so I think it's engaging the compression release
Not necessarily indicative of correct settings.