16. 5 hp starting problems

flocksoflys

Threads
I've got a 2001 Craftsman LT1000 with the B & S 16.5 hp engine. When I bought this mower in May, 2013, the previous owner had just put a new starter in it. Within a few weeks after I bought it the engine started to either turn very slowly & suddenly speed up & start or "clunk" like the starters not turning the engine. After several tries it would start. It only did it a few times until I parked it for the winter. This year it's gradually gotten worse to the point where it won't start some of the time, only "clunk" like a bad starter. A couple days ago I pulled the starter & battery ( 2 yr. old diehard) & took them to Napa. They both came out as being good. I then replaced the solenoid & it still makes no difference. It either turns very slowly & suddenly speeds up or "clunks" like a bad starter. Where do I go from here?:confused3:

CCB65

Forum Newbie
Threads
I Have the same issue I pulled the Spark Plug and the engine turns over fine . Put the plug back in and it only turns the motor by about a 1/4 of o turn, We have installed a new Battery and a new starter. Maybe someone will chime in with a solution.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Both are classic symptoms of needing the valve clearances adjusted.

gregjo1948

Threads
Both are classic symptoms of needing the valve clearances adjusted.

I agree with Rivets on valve adjustment. I believe there is a compression relief built into the cam/valve train and if not properly adjusted, results in the starter not being able to turn the engine over as it should. gregjo1948

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Classic valve adjustment issue. There was a point a few years ago where I could diagnose a valve adjustment issue over the phone, nowing only the model number. if the model number started with 3137 it would need the valves adjusted.

flocksoflys

Threads
Classic valve adjustment issue. There was a point a few years ago where I could diagnose a valve adjustment issue over the phone, nowing only the model number. if the model number started with 3137 it would need the valves adjusted.

Mine starts with 3107. Is there any difference between the two?

gregjo1948

Threads
Mine starts with 3107. Is there any difference between the two?

I don't know the difference between the 3107 & 3137. I do know on 2 different Briggs, in the past month and a half, that wouldn't turn over, it was due to the wrong valve adjustment. gregjo1948

flocksoflys

Threads
I finally found the time to adjust the valves & it starts right up. Thanks so much for the help. :drink: