Engine 14 HP Onan engine/ gear case oil leak

tricky50

Forum Newbie
Threads
I Have a 14 HP Onan engine model ZX390 11317D with an oil leak at the top right side of the gear case cover. It is blowing oil out of a 1/2" area and I don't know if it could be just the
gasket or could I have a warped cover. Does anybody have experience with the engine block being warped in this area. Also, seeing that the crankshaft,camshaft Assy and shaft balancers enter the enter the gear case .Would it be difficult to just replace the gear case gasket?
Thank you for any help or guidance with this problem!

Tricky

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can probably be of some help on this topic, since I've had it happen twice on my 2140 with the Cummins/Onan engine.

That is the same place where my gasket has failed--twice. I'll bet if you look close, you'll see that the gasket is sucked in, not blown out. It doesn't matter; the end result is oil all over everything.

There is probably nothing wrong with your cover.

Single cylinder engines have the biggest change in crankcase pressure which means it's hard to keep them leak-free. The Elite engine uses a reed-valve system to ventilate the crankcase. Filtered air is drawn into and exhausted from the crankcase. If there is blockage of the reed valve, crankcase gaskets can get blown out. If there is restriction to the intake of air to fill the crankcase, gaskets can get sucked in.

Since mine failed by sucking the gasket in, I began looking for causes. One think I found is this:

--Onan recommends the air filter wrapper should be cleaned every 50 hours; more often in dusty conditions.
--Cub Cadet recommends the air filter wrapper should be cleaned every 10 hours.
That's a huge difference and I was simply going by appearance in deciding when to clean the wrapper. Most times, it would be once a year, or anywhere from 40 to 80 hours. Since I found the Cub Cadet recommendation, I've been cleaning and re-oiling every ten hours. I also replace the air filter element more frequently now. With the wrapper, it always looked clean so I continued to use it. One thing I learned from a Tech Rep from a Fleetguard is that you can't tell anything by looking at a filter--only a suction gauge can tell whether a filter is clogged.

The repair itself isn't hard if you're handy with wrenches and sockets. You do NOT have to remove the engine to do this repair. You will have to loosen the bolts holding the engine to the frame but that's all. There are advantages to NOT removing the engine. Once you have removed the side panels and hood/grill assembly, the work is straightforward. Drain the oil, remove the blade clutch, governor linkage(IIRC), then remove the cover bolts. Blade clutch bolt is best remove with an impact wrench.

Remove the cover by GENTLY tapping the sides with a rubber hammer. There are four gears (crank, cam, and two balance shafts) plus the oil pump under this cover. Try to not disturb them. If you do, all is not lost--there are timing marks on all of them.

Once the cover is off, gently remove the old gasket and clean the mating surfaces of the cover and engine block. The crankshaft seal doesn't come with the gasket set, so if you want to replace it, you'll have to buy one of those, too.

The last time I did this, I used gasket sealer. I'm not sure I would do that again. Gaskets should seal without glue and one drawback is, the next time you have to go in, you'll have a harder job cleaning those surfaces that got the sealer.

There is a torque spec and sequence for the cover, too. Starting with the bolt that is just slightly left of the 12 o'clock position as you face the engine, torque the bolts to 12-16 ft-lb. Torque the first bolt twice. Put the rest back together in the reverse order that it came off.

FWIW, the E140H service manual containing all this is on the internet.

Hope this helps.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sort of off topic but on subject.
This crankcase pressure problem has been the bane of single cylinder motorcycles ever since oil slingers were replaced with seals.
About 15 years ago Rex Bunn came up with the Bunn Breather system which is currently fitted to a lot of HD & Enfield motorcycles.
I have several fitted to my vintage bikes and they work like a gem.
It is a full flow system, so you suck air in via a one way valve and blow the crankcase gasses out via another.
If this crankcase venting problem is a big PITB might be worthwile fitting one, they are around $ 40 and available from British Motorcycle supply company in the USA

Obviously they would render a crank case powered fuel pump inoperative so only good for gravity feed or mechanical fuel pumps

tricky50

Forum Newbie
Threads
cpurvis,

Thank you for the reply to the" title problem" I'm having. Your guidance was extremely helpful.
I started on the repair today and decided to contact you for guidance concerning removal of the clutch.
How do I keep the crankshaft from turning? Should I insert a small rope in through the spark plug hole
to block the piston travel like on small two cycle engines or is there a better way?

Thank you

Tricky50

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last edited:

tricky50

Forum Newbie
Threads
cpurvis,

Thank you for the guidance you provided concerning the title problem. I completed the repair about a month ago and used the mower extensively since then.
I was watching to see if the gear case gasket would get sucked in again but all is normal at this time. Your guidance for the entire project was spot on and
everything proceeded as you directed in your original response.
Thank you again for the excellent guidance you provided.

tricky50