14 H.P. Kohler running rough & needs full choke(?)

Jim Robbins

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have a 214 John Deere lawn mower with a 14 HP Kohler Engine Spec.# 60318 Mod.# K321AQS
and it just started running rough, I need the choke pulled on full to keep the motor running(?) I checked the spark plug and it has good spark. Have changed the air filter and fuel filter.
I'm thinking that the Carb. should come off and checked out, may-be it is gunked up with crap. or it needs a new carb. rebuild kit or I could have bad gas (?)
Any ideas / something I have forgot (?)

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You most likely have a fuel delivery problem. Start at gas tank an drain and clean tank. Next drain and clean fuel lines. If they are soft at all just replace them all. It will only be a few dollars at a autoparts store. Next remove carb from mower and clean and inspect. Make sure all holes are open. I normally take an old copper stranded wire and strip it back and get a strand or two and run them through all the holes in the carb. Remove the float and needle valve and check for sticking. Make sure the float has no fuel in it. Do not forget to check the needle valve seat. It needs to be clear also. Can of carb cleaner for blowing out all the holes as well as the wire. I have this thing about being prepared so I would order a carb kit first then start work. but that is just me.

MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES BEFORE AND DURING THE TEAR DOWN.