Export thread

14.5 carb

B

bilzpad

I have a murray with the 14.5 quiet briggs,been sitting about 7 or 8 years,took the carb off,put in new needle,cleaned all the jets with a small wire and air hose,washed it all out good...it will idle all day,but if you open it up about 1/3 on up,it acts like its starving for gas and backfiring....cleaned the carb twice,any ideas?

M

motoman

Bilz, Since no one responded...I do not know the machine, but the symptom is fuel starvation when the butterfly allows a surge of air. The mix goes too lean and will not burn. Try working on the secondary jet -clean ,open, Also look at the float setting . A carb detail dwg would help. I have seen them on line. On car carbs that transition from idle to accelerate is helped by a pump (jet), but I bet the little engine carbs are much simpler.

B

bilzpad

Bilz, Since no one responded...I do not know the machine, but the symptom is fuel starvation when the butterfly allows a surge of air. The mix goes too lean and will not burn. Try working on the secondary jet -clean ,open, Also look at the float setting . A carb detail dwg would help. I have seen them on line. On car carbs that transition from idle to accelerate is helped by a pump (jet), but I bet the little engine carbs are much simpler.

bought a can of gunk carb cleaner with the basket,tore the carb down and soaked it a couple days,blew it out,put it back on and it runs like new