Valve Lash B/S 125K02-0189-E1 21" Super Recycler 20055

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Valve Lash B/S 125K02-0189-E1 21" Super Recycler 20055
Have an older (2006) Toro Super Recycler with Briggs 125K02-0189-E1 engine. Runs really well but 2006 to 2023 is like 17 years @ 30 minutes to 1 hour a week x 52 = 600 - 850 hours on it. Figure it is probably time to check the valves while I am servicing it. I did that late last summer on an old L-head Briggs Quatro engine for a pressure washer and although the guides were worn, it runs well now that the valve clearance is in spec. This mower engine seems to have more flashing and plastic etc on it to get at things, and my back can't be bent over a lot anymore (arthritis). Don't think it will fit up on the work bench but I can try. I'd like to remove as little as possible. Are the valves on this engine under the breather cover like the Quatro was?

Anything else in that area that typically needs replacing - breather hoses etc.,? Should I pull the head on it too*? I did that on the pressure washer engine, cleaned it up and put a new head gasket on, retorqued etc.. Trying to allocate how much time to allow. Also on the pressure washer engine I just used fine needle nose pliers to slide the spring retainers off while I compressed the valve spring with another set or some simple tool I made. Are the springs as easy on this one or do I need the Briggs spring compressor? Forgive me for so many questions.

* I am aware of the tricks to hold valves closed with the head on but if they need adjustment probably will have to pull the head to do that as the Quatro engine last year required carefully grinding the valve stem tips to get the correct clearance.

Manual that came with it gives spark plug gap 0.030", Valves measured at 1/4 inch (6mm) drop past TDC, Intake 0.005" - 0.007", Exhaust 0.007" - 0.009". Does that seem correct?

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
well, picked up what I needed locally and got the parts for adjusting valves thru Briggs online store. With 164 views and not one suggestion, I guess this website isn't worth coming to anymore. All those people viewed and not one had a clue how to answer. Good night.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
well, picked up what I needed locally and got the parts for adjusting valves thru Briggs online store. With 164 views and not one suggestion, I guess this website isn't worth coming to anymore. All those people viewed and not one had a clue how to answer. Good night.
Probably because we are clowns and fools for trying to help. I basically have gone from helping to just viewing the questions myself. Basically just becoming a data harvester like all the bots on here.

Working hard on breaking the habit of even coming to the site. Besides I got multiple major problem machines in the shop that is taking nearly a day a piece to repair. Like the two Gravely ZTR where you have take engine off just to change out the starter solenoids. Then the Cub Cadet that has reverse safety electrical problem that is causing to shut the deck off while mowing forward at random times. Of course there is the Honda ATV that need from differential hub seals and JD 830a that has # cylinder dead with a leak down of 60+%. On top those 6 more ZTRs came in late yesterday.

Simply don't have the time currently.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is only worth it if you have the patience and have the understanding of the professional tech on this forum. You think we are here waiting for some one to ask questions. 95% of the pros have full time jobs and family responsibility which come first. On top of that, do you realize that this time of year is the busiest time for all pros. This forum is used by thousands of people who are non members and just looking for help. They probably make up 99% of the views you see. If you wanted professional help that fast you should have gone to your local shop and asked your question. If my brain is still working you live in the land of fruits and nuts who’s motto is; “I want an answer and I want it now”. For people like you this forum is not for you, but for people who understand that they are the ones looking for help and can appreciate the people willing to take the time to help them, even if it takes a little long than they expected. On top of that, your belittling the members as you’ve done in the past, doesn’t make you look like a person we want to help. Don’t let the door hit you in the butt if you decide to leave.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The OP posted at almost 11PM and Monday I had to leave for a doctors appt at 7 AM got back around 10AM and then worked until 7PM just to take care of the stuff that i didn't get done on Saturday plus my Monday work. And of right now i am working on customer mowers that got put the on the appointment calendar three weeks ago. So I may skim over post sometimes but this time of the year I don't have time to research for random people, I have to do that for my actual paying customers.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is only worth it if you have the patience and have the understanding of the professional tech

"professional tech?" Does remanufacturing a Ferarri Dino engine as a machinist with parts donated by the Old Man himself, or doing the machine work on Cosworth F1 racing engines count? Swapping out orange-red hot disc brakes on road racing championship cars? I was hoping someone would have replied "yes the valve springs are accessed thru the breather like the other L-head engine," or "no, you need to pull the XYZ off to get at them."

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Simple answer NO. It means that you think that someone on this forum should read your post, research your question and give you an answer NOW. Being a little humble and realizing that those who work on these engines are not at your beck-n-call and may have more important things to do first to put food on the table for their families. If you are as smart as you think you are, you could have gotten a Briggs manual through a google search and easily found your answer, but that would mean you would have had to do the work. Being that lazy you wanted us to do it for you, ain’t going to happen here, our lives are more important that yours.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Simple answer Yes. Sorry but sometimes the clock doesn't allow one to just sit and wait on others. Decision made, I've moved on without you. Was that the best decision, I dunno, time will tell. There were something like 164 hits on the question at that time. Maybe it was a mistake on my part but I figure that if you walk up to 160 people and ask what time of the day it is, and everyone walks on by shrugging their shoulders, its time to find the answer another way.