12.5 hp Kohler won't run

BO2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine was spitting, sputtering and quitting occasionally-cleaned gas tank and carburetor..thought I had it fixed but did it again after about 30 minutes running. I pushed it under the shed. Now it turns over find but will not even hit. Grounded plug against the head and turned engine over-spark looks yellow. Compression 100 after a few revolutions--Model CV12.59--what about a resistor or coil or ignition module that has gone bad...Bought this Cub Cadet in 91 or 92 and the cover has never been off of it..I have tinkered with small engines all my life but not much on Kohlers...Any help will be appreciated..Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Grounded plug against the head and turned engine over-spark looks yellow.what about a resistor or coil or ignition module that has gone bad..

The only way to check spark is with the plug in the engine. Get a spark tester from a Auto parts store. Plug needs to be under compress to test. A very cheap easy test with proper tools.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. :smile:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
how did you clean gas tank and carb?

BO2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I removed the tank and drained all the gas-took carb bowl off and ran small copper wire in every hole--don't know why, but I forgot to blow out with compressed air..

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i think you have to bite the bullet and buy 6 cans of carb cleaner and clean the outside and remove and disassemble the carb and let them soak in carb cleaner overnight...then assemble and see what happens.....remember with carbs...clean,clean,clean,clean, and clean!

BO2

Forum Newbie
Threads
O.K I put the other carb back on--the one that was running when it did the spit sputter and die sometimes..Not even a hit..I am convinced it is spark--spark is intermittent and very weak looking..what about the rectifier that bolts to a hole in the top cover..Model CV12.5S -- Spec 1211 --- S/N 2109812744..Thanks for any help..can the rectifier be checked? After that, all it can be is the coil I would think...What do you think? Where can I get parts?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
well....rectifiers are converters from ac current to dc current.....they dont get weak...they just stop working......check this first and get back to us:smile:....Partstree.com - Genuine replacement parts for Toro, Echo, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, Lawn Boy (Lawnboy), lawn equipment (lawn mowers, saws, blowers, trimmers, snow blowers) and Tecumseh, Kohler and Briggs and Stratton Engines.........also this...http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2339_d.pdf.....ignition module going to ground intermittently could do this too...

BO2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was going to check out safety switches and ignition switch today after work but it is raining---Not complaining. We need the rain sooooo bad..

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
no sweat...get back when you can:smile: