10 HP Tecumseh Over Revving

darrinster

Threads
10 HP Tecumseh on a rear engine riding mower. It will not gradually increase throttle speed. Soon as you start to increase the throttle it jumps to fast idle. I soaked the carb in Chem Dip and then rebuilt it, but same issue.

Bad carb? Or can something be out of adjustment?

Engine numbers: TVXL220-157213

Here is a video of the issue. https://youtu.be/GsEN5FYfmrQ

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hard to tell anything from your video. But taking a guess I will say your governor needs adjustment.

darrinster

Threads
Any tips on adjusting the governor?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
They have some very good videos on You tube.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are going to post a video of something like that , please, please mount the camera on a tripod or sit it in a vice or anything to keep it steady and in focus.
The govenor connections look all wrong to me.
The govenor should be hooked up to the throttle lever and the throttle cable should be hooked up to the governor.
The governor should pull the throttle closed and the throttle limits the movement of the governor.
For anything more specific we will need the engine numbers.

darrinster

Threads
If you are going to post a video of something like that , please, please mount the camera on a tripod or sit it in a vice or anything to keep it steady and in focus.
The govenor connections look all wrong to me.
The govenor should be hooked up to the throttle lever and the throttle cable should be hooked up to the governor.
The governor should pull the throttle closed and the throttle limits the movement of the governor.
For anything more specific we will need the engine numbers.

Engine numbers are in my first post.

darrinster

Threads
I switched out the old style linkages with a newer one, still same results.

Here is a better quality video showing what happens. https://youtu.be/JhVhDqefQTQ

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
last 2 picture look ike the govenor spring is connected to the choke.

Quick & dirty test
Disconnect the governor & work the throttle by hand.
You must keep some light pressure on the govenor arm to keep it in contact with the governor so an extra set of hands will be a good idea.
Start the engine and slowly increase te engine revs, as the engine speed increases you should feel the governor pulling harder.
Remember the governor closes down the throttle so as speed increases it trys to close the throttle to reduce the speed.

If you can not feel this happening then unfortunately you are about to become intimately familiar with your engines internals as the govenor it toast.
I can not stree how important it is to keep some back pressure on govenor arm at all times while the engine is revolving, as in a lot of cases, the govenor arm is all that holds the govenor together
Tecumseh govenors & govenors parts are relatively easy to come by down here so if I can get them in OZ you shuld have no troubles in the States.

69judge

Forum Newbie
Threads
make sure you have that very small spring hooked to the governor.
I lost one one time and over revved the engine and blew a rod .
very important spring.