07 troy pony 7 speed trans problems possible

troypony

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just got for cheap a 2007 troy bilt 42" 7 sp pony model. Fires right up - owner was told it has a bad trans per lowes service center(but you never know they may have just wanted to sell a new mower). He said it was stuck in gear. I fired it up and reverse seems great- when in any forward speed it moves right away but starts to clunk heavy and it feels like a car keeps hitting you as you move forward. I bought it to part out on ebay but would really like to get it fixed and use it myself. I know it needs servicing &blades and a battery . but it looks like it does not have alot of hours-original tires look like new.

does it sound like a internal trans gear possible broken or missing a tooth? I have heard theses are pretty good transmissions . I would not be tearing apart the trans myself it would be sent out . if it is a trans- do most shops rebuilt or just replace and if so what are the general costs if taken to a shop?

Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to LMF...

Those I have seen with "stuck in gear" problem, were forced and had the linkage bent... You may have to take the linkage off & try it out ... Not as bad as it may sound... Just keep track of things as you take them off.... :smile:KennyV

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
those MTD's are varidrives......basically a differential with a pulley system for speed changes....its probably in the case...but check the linkage like Kenny said....those trannies are everywhere in junkyards....it may be a cheap fix [$100]

troypony

Forum Newbie
Threads
tinkered with it today- motor is great -blades engage nice, road it all over the yard in reverse with no issues and all speed work nice in reverse. Put it in foward and trans jerks & knocks hard a few times then just grinds like someone in a car keeps turning the ignition switch after car is running.

i think a gear is damaged in trans since i see one on ebay exactly like mine with same issue-

junkyard trans- just another chance i get one with same issue or other issues.

realized after crunching figures- 80 for mower plus needs battery, 2 blades, airfilters, gas filter, oil change, plug needed plus trans work isnt worth it on a 1,000 when new mower that sells in this area for under 450 used with no issues .

gonna do a fresh oil change, finish detailing it and ebaying it next month for someone who needs the motor or misc parts like i originally bought it to do - if it doesnt sell this l;ate in season ill just cover it in the garge and list it this spring

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
its hard to ever get out...what you put in:frown: