How to Tow Riding Mower behind Golf Cart

Swampboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any suggestions on how to tow my riding mower, MTD Yard Machine, behind my golf cart. I take care of two yards; it's about a half mile from one house to the other in a "golf cart" community. Driving the mower on the street is slow and burns fuel. Sometimes I push the mower for exercise and always get asked if I'm out of gas!

cjdave

Threads
I have always heard no more than 5 MPH tow or push

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
For less than $250 you can have a trailer and ramps to tow it on. Harbor Freight sells both. Attach a piece of plywood for a floor and some tiedown straps and your getting there fast. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

• haulmaster.jpg
    haulmaster.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 24
  • ramps.jpg
    ramps.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 21

Swampboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for suggestions. A trailer would be great but it will take up a good amount of garage space. I thought about making a small trailer-like device that would lift up two wheels or one of the axles and allow towing similar to those things you see behind a U-Haul pulling a car. To keep it under 5 mph I'll need to tow it by the rear end and lock the steering wheel!

I'll take another look at Harbor Freight. I'm open to any other ideas or thoughts.

scott47429

Threads
im nt sure who makes them but i have seen trailers that will hang on a wall so you may do some searching for them also

oldyellr

Threads
I don't know how the steering on your mower is, but when I tried to tow my Honda RER, the steering would snap over to full lock, at least on the grass. Maybe it's made that way so it takes little effort to steer. However, I don't think any steering should do that on smooth pavement. I would suggest fabricating a simple tow bar that attaches to the mower front axle or tierod ends. Something like this, but it doesn't need to be a heavy:

7102598802p

Swampboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
After many months of thinking about it I finally bought a welder and tow bar from Harbor Freight and got to work. The finished product looks good and works well. Its just a hassle connecting the tow bar to the mower. Now that I have a welder I should be able to make something that would be considered a "quick connect".

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

This is my first attempt at attaching photos, hope they show up. The last one will show the supplied tow bar car connection welded to a piece of angle iron, all painted black to match. The angle iron has a hole drilled through it to accommodate a bolt on the mower "axle". There was no cutting or drilling on the mower itself, I just used the axle and bolt to hold the tow bar attachment in place.

panabiker

Threads
Maybe in your case, it is justifiable to modify the mower to be able to go at higher speeds, like 10-12mph, and not worrying about towing.