High lift causes?

bradcash

Threads
I run 2 different riding mowers a Murray 16hp 46" and a John Deere 15hp 42". They are both 15 yrs old. The JD doesn't "lift" the grass like the Murrey. The blades on each machine seem similar. What is the casue of this? What should I look for when I buy a new mower to make sure I have "Lift"?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The deck itself will contribute to the lift... If the air flow is disturbed it will not have the lift it should.
You can get high lift blades to help...
Blade rpm (usually listed as blade tip speed), will also have a lot to do with lift.
:smile:KennyV

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I run 2 different riding mowers a Murray 16hp 46" and a John Deere 15hp 42". They are both 15 yrs old. The JD doesn't "lift" the grass like the Murrey. The blades on each machine seem similar. What is the casue of this? What should I look for when I buy a new mower to make sure I have "Lift"?
___________________________________________________________________________________

In my opinion the deck and blade system on a single blade Snapper rear engine rider is the bench mark for lawn mower "lift". The farther manufacturers deviate from that design the worse the lift.

I have a 1984 Murray and a 2008 JD LA 135 and when I need a better cut to impress anyone that drives into the ranch I mow with the Murray. When looking for comfort and convenience I get on the LA 135.:biggrin:

stanley

Threads
The angle of the blades should have something to do with it also. Air flow I imagine would have the most effect. Something like this is in the details.