Working on 2 cycle engines

bwestbrook

Threads
Lot of you guys seem to be real knowledgeable on small engines. I have been doing small engine repair for about 3 years now. Lawn mowers and other 4 cycle engines don't give me a problem.
But weed eaters and chainsaws...... I can fix most but end up wasting a lot of time on them. They almost all seem to give me the symptoms of sucking air or something carb related and I can clean the carb, blow compressed air through jets and put a kit in. Same problems. Even adjust carb. Same problems. Maybe my diagnostics on them are way off. It just doesn't seem to be as cut and dry as 4 cycles to me. I still have a lot to learn on all of them. Any input would be appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
A lot of the new 2 cycles have carbs with primers. the primer carbs require check valves in the carb to prevent sucking air when priming. the problem is the check valves seem to always stick open when you take apart the carb for cleaning, and will not allow the carb to prime up properly thus preventing starting. That is the main reason that most repair shops and technicians such as me just replace the carb now a days. sometimes it is cheaper to replace the carb then install kit plus labor.

bwestbrook

Threads
I can see where that would cause a problem too. I have noticed a lot of places replace them. I have also noticed that there are a lot of repair shops around where I am that will not work on 2 cycles any more. I am trying to get better and build my reputation for repair work out of my personal shop on my off days from the fire station.

bwestbrook

Threads
Just like a Stihl chainsaw I have now that runs wide open and won't throttle down. Seems like a carb issue. But carb kit did not even phase it except it is easier to start now.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lot of you guys seem to be real knowledgeable on small engines. I have been doing small engine repair for about 3 years now. Lawn mowers and other 4 cycle engines don't give me a problem.
But weed eaters and chainsaws...... I can fix most but end up wasting a lot of time on them. They almost all seem to give me the symptoms of sucking air or something carb related and I can clean the carb, blow compressed air through jets and put a kit in. Same problems. Even adjust carb. Same problems. Maybe my diagnostics on them are way off. It just doesn't seem to be as cut and dry as 4 cycles to me. I still have a lot to learn on all of them. Any input would be appreciated.
No input but just to say don't feel bad about not knowing all the ins and outs. I've retired from working on 2 cycles as large as 2,000 horse power and they can be cantankerous also. They seem to be a complete different animal and anyone that has one should own a spark plug factory.:laughing:

twinfords

Threads
air leaks, seals etc or someone straight gassed them. crank seals or scored piston etc will cause same issue also leaking intake boots. repair but know warranty (ask how i know)