Bought a 1986 Kubota G5200!

Kubota_Diesel

Threads
Hey everyone! I was cruisin' around town not quite a month ago and at our local Kubota Dealer, saw a Kubota G5200 sitting outside of the service door. I thought, wow i've got to look at that old girl! As I drove up, I saw she had been used for what she was built for. Front left was flat, faded paint, torn seat, etc. Just a good, solid, used tractor. The deck is SOLID! Of course, anyone who doesn't know, the G5200 has a 3 cylinder diesel that is the D600 model. Rated 14 horsepower and a hydrostat to back it up. I thought about it a couple days later and called on it. The service manager said that it was a trade in and that it didn't run and thought water had been poured into the fuel. So, I tossed the idea around and asked a price. He said, make us an offer. Long story short, my Grandpa and I make a perfect team. My Grandpa came to see me at work that same afternoon and I told him about this. He told me to ask them if they'd take $400 cash. I called and they said they would. My Grandpa came back with the money and I went and picked her up at lunch. I would have got my cash but it would have taken a while to drive to the bank and withdraw so he just saved me some time. I was goin' to pay him back with interest, though he wouldn't want the interest. Now, my Grandpa says he doesn't want me to pay him back because that is my early Christmas present. One of the best Christmas presents EVER! Anyway, I trailered her down to the shop and tinkered with it in my spare time. I drained the fuel, put new fuel filters on her, filled her back up with good fuel with Seafoam and Howes fuel additive. I then bled the fuel system. I did put new glow plugs in her. After she wouldn't start, I called the service manager and asked for advice. He said if water got past the injector pump and into the cylinders it may have bent a rod or two. So, I ran this across my Grandpa and he wanted to do a compression test on her. My Dad and Grandpa tinkered around with the gauge but it turned out the compression tester gauge was bad. They had shut the hood and told me to try to get a hold of the previous owner. I couldn't do this until Monday since the dealer wasn't open on Saturday. I was going to do this but I got anxious and started looking at diagrams of the injector pump. I noticed a line on the top of the pump on one of the diagrams and though I had bled the fuel up to the pump it wasn't quite enough for the injectors. I took the line off which is the return line on top of the pump. I turned the ignition on and let it bleed for about a second. Put it back on and she fired! She died after 2-3 seconds. So, I did this again and she has ran like a new mower ever since! It must of had some sort of blockage. I changed the oil and filter and the air filter. The fluid in the hydrostat looked to be brand new and the body of the filter didn't look very old. I left it alone for now. I took the deck off and did some work that it needed under the tractor. When warm weather comes back around I will be getting a few minor things fixed so the deck will mount to the frame properly. Turns out I got an INCREDIBLE deal! This is my third Kubota and I LOVE them! Long story short, if you find one of these jewels in a yard or just pushed to the back of someone's house, ask and see what's wrong with it, if anything, and see what the owner had in mind for a price if for sale. Parts are all over for these tractors. Take the chance, live a little. Once she fires up, you'll feel like a kid takin' a new tractor for a spin and think to yourself, Mission Accomplished!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Solid little tractor... Great mowers.
The main blockage in diesel injector systems is air... Once All air is out it's hard to block an injector pump's output...
Love Kubota Diesel power.. :smile:KennyV

Kubota_Diesel

Threads
Solid little tractor... Great mowers.
The main blockage in diesel injector systems is air... Once All air is out it's hard to block an injector pump's output...
Love Kubota Diesel power.. :smile:KennyV

Hey KennyV! Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it! That's what I was thinkin' to was probably air, I don't know anything else that could get past both filters. I love this tractor and she is very solid and will now always be taken care of! I also flushed the block and radiator to makes sure shes in tip top shape for this winter! Have a great day!:smile: