Is this machine worth the time it takes to get it running?

Mower manic

Threads
  • / Is this machine worth the time it takes to get it running?
I have an oppourtunity to get this mach for nothing or very close to it. I have no use for it. But' I'm wondering if I should just sell it like it is or get it running. It's been sitting for an undetermined amount of time. At least 4 yeras and probably over ten. I have not tried to start it but from what I'm told it "does not run".
As you can see it appears as though it's had little use, so there could be a lot of hours left in it. It's been stored in a small shed, out of the weather, however it gets extremely hot in there as it is not in the shade. I sure the temperature is 120F on a regular basis. it's been my experience that this extreme temperature deteriorates nonmetallic parts and dries up grease in sealed bearings.
Have a look at tell me what you think.
DSC00001.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

Last edited:

Parkmower

Threads
Tough to argue with free or close to it. I'd take it. Clean it up. Get it runnin. And sell it. Easy money if ya ask me.

Mower manic

Threads
Tough to argue with free or close to it. I'd take it. Clean it up. Get it runnin. And sell it. Easy money if ya ask me.

What do you think it's worth ....running?
No warranty -buyer beware

Parkmower

Threads
I see some pretty rough looking Rer's on CL goin for $200. This one looks pretty good. If you get it running good I'd be comfortable askin around $300

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
In the spring when everyone is looking at the new $1500 to $2000 riders this could easily bring $600... It looks Good... :smile:KennyV

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Few years ago I had a murray RER looked nearly brand new got for free ( worked on ex bro in laws tractor), swapped a good motor on it ( same as what stickers say on it) , cleaned it up, shined it up and stuck it out front for $300 - guy offered me his broken 99 murray for it and $200 - i took it.

If it had a bagger id say itd be worth alot more - but $300 is a basic starting price for a used running/mowing lawntractor.

I have a 'red' one just like it - mine was a piece of junk tho- deck was all rotten, trans screwed up - its in pieces out behind the shed.

Chev

Threads
worse looking Snapper RERs of the same vintage are advertised for $400 plus all day long.

I bet the two machines are largely the same. To the smart shopper you should eaisily get $300. Some will never get past the teal paint.

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Chev: I had a Snapper RER years ago - two totally different machines/drivelines. Snappers use the friction disc setup - my murray had an actual trans under it - some murrays RER's used a peerless type trans with a chain to a diff axle .

The snapper was free, mainly because it was a rusted out piece of junk that sat for 15 years outside behind the guy's garage. I was hoping to rebuild it and sell it ( not a fan of RER's), but was just too far gone, i salvaged a bunch of parts off it and junked it, unfortunately about a year later i got a practically brand new snapper deck in a deal with a bunch of tractor parts- ah well.

Marcusk

Threads
Man mowers are cheep in the states for 300 here you might get a 20 year old ride on that won't start .. How much do you guys pay for a running 11hp Briggs?

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Ive gotten tractors from free to $100 ( all non runners in need of work) - i wont pay over $75 for a non runner anymore unless its something i really wanted to buy bad enough.

If it ran, mowed and included a battery , itd be worth at least $300 ( for average tractor- not GT's).