Honda GX390 Backfiring Thru Carburetor (No Start)

theyukbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
A little backstory on this engine... I got it for free from someone that said it was seized. I pulled off the valve cover and found that the locknut on the rocker arm had backed off loosened up the exhaust valve, causing the compression release to not engage, making it near impossible to turn over.

What I have tried/done to attempt to make it run.
Adjusted the valves to .006 on the intake and .008 on the exhaust with the piston at TDC
Checked for a good hot spark and sprayed some starter spray down the carb, no start
Put a drill on the flywheel nut and got it to spin a little faster than with recoil start, shot fire out the carb
Pulled the case half and checked the crank to cam gear timing (both divots line up)
Pulled the cylinder head and lapped the valves (seats look good) and cleaned all the carbon off everything
Pulled flywheel, checked keystock, and regapped and clean ignition coil
Did a leakdown check and everything is sealing properly

I have not cleaned or even opened up the carburetor, but since I'm relying on spray right now it shouldn't matter right?
I've tried a bunch of things and I probably forgot to list some of the basic first things I tried, but please give me some suggestions, this thing has me stumped!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Backfiring through the carb is caused by
1) air: fuel ratio way too lean
2) spark way too far advanced
3) exhaust valve not opening
4) cam out of time.

Try a different spark plug and widen the gap a little
OR move the coil a little further off the flywheel