Top Dead Center

Mower King

Threads
There are TWO "1/4 inch down from TDC" piston positions in a 4-stroke engine.

Which one does Briggs recommend?

With what you're talking about, it would be 1/4" past TDC of compression stroke but, there is no need to try to find 1'4" past TDC...if you set your valve lash as described in my earlier post which is TDC of compression stroke, it will run just fine!

Tinkerer200

Threads
Millstone, OP, you are obviously a novice. As such, you should use the factory recommended procedure when working on an engine. When you become more experienced and know more about the engine than the people who designed and mfg. it, then you can develop your own procedure.

" Make sure piston is at TDC or you can still be on EX compression release."

Contrary to what this post by the Master Service Tech. says, B&S Intek, as most B&S engines, releases compression via the INTAKE Valve and this and other forums are full of problems caused by people setting their valves AT TDC. B&S Vanguard TWINS do use the Exhaust Valve for compression release.

I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like, stop guessing and getting a proliferation of different opinions. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Last edited: