Extension Spring Placement

jackislost1

Threads
Hello all,

I have been having some problems with my x300, 42 inch mowing deck. I discovered that the j-hook (lift rod) that attaches to deck and frame on the right side of mowing deck is clipping the belt every now and then. I am in the process of replacing all the top side of the mowing deck and then some things associated with the lift pedal linkage. I think I got my lift arms back in line but won't know for sure until the rest of the parts come in today. Will put them on and then see how it mows. Hopefully will be back in business. For the life of me I can't figure out where the extension spring that is associated with the mower lift lever, where it connects on either side. Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 15.32.43.png

If the attachment worked it would be #18 on the sheet. Can anybody shed some light on this please??? Also there is a shorter spring that hooks in as part of the brake pedal linkage #28 here Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 11.23.27.png any ideas where it goes to off the shaft? I have looked for worn down areas where the hooks could have been hooked in but I repainted the body and can't see any scratches anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jack

D

Deleted member 97405

Hello all,

I have been having some problems with my x300, 42 inch mowing deck. I discovered that the j-hook (lift rod) that attaches to deck and frame on the right side of mowing deck is clipping the belt every now and then. I am in the process of replacing all the top side of the mowing deck and then some things associated with the lift pedal linkage. I think I got my lift arms back in line but won't know for sure until the rest of the parts come in today. Will put them on and then see how it mows. Hopefully will be back in business. For the life of me I can't figure out where the extension spring that is associated with the mower lift lever, where it connects on either side. View attachment 45364

If the attachment worked it would be #18 on the sheet. Can anybody shed some light on this please??? Also there is a shorter spring that hooks in as part of the brake pedal linkage #28 here View attachment 45365 any ideas where it goes to off the shaft? I have looked for worn down areas where the hooks could have been hooked in but I repainted the body and can't see any scratches anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jack

I'm not sure where the #16 spring connects, but I have a found an excellent pic online that shows where #28 goes.
See below. (ignore the red and green lines in the pic)
Can you attach a pic of the underside of your machine showing where you think #16 is supposed to go?
We may have an X300 here at the shop I can use to compare your picture to.

Capture1.JPG

jackislost1

Threads
Will,

You da man. Thanks for replying. So no picture right now can't do that till later today. But I will tell you it goes to the lever that lets the mowing deck up an down. By the steering wheel on the left hand side is the lift handle for deck. Push pedal down and unlock handle to drop mower deck down. It connects on to the metal that runs off the handle I believe. And oops it is #16 not #18. Stinking bad eyes, LOL. See this pic Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 14.05.39.png I put an arrow pointing to another spring, where does it go and what spring is it. The #16 spring is about 6" long and skinny. I will take a pic of it later when I get home. Thanks again for the reply.

Jack

D

Deleted member 97405

Will,

You da man. Thanks for replying. So no picture right now can't do that till later today. But I will tell you it goes to the lever that lets the mowing deck up an down. By the steering wheel on the left hand side is the lift handle for deck. Push pedal down and unlock handle to drop mower deck down. It connects on to the metal that runs off the handle I believe. And oops it is #16 not #18. Stinking bad eyes, LOL. See this pic View attachment 45367 I put an arrow pointing to another spring, where does it go and what spring is it. The #16 spring is about 6" long and skinny. I will take a pic of it later when I get home. Thanks again for the reply.

Jack

You're welcome! That is fine. I will check back in the morning because I am leaving the shop for the day. The spring indicated by the arrow is the lift assist spring. If your machine has it, it would be connected to a long bolt with a 13mm head out at the front of your machine. You would adjust the tension on the spring by cranking the bolt when installing other attachments, such as a snowblower, to make it easier to lift with the foot pedal. Some machines never had that spring.

jackislost1

Threads
I believe I have that spring but I did not know what it did. So I got 2 pics. #1 pic 1.jpgshows the bar that comes from the top of the dashboard which is the mower deck lift lever. Pic #22.jpeg shows where I think it might end at on the bottom side. Pic 3 3.pngis just the repeat of the parts manual. But this spring imo would connect to #15 and then somewhere along #19 but not sure if either of those guesses are right. I seem to remember the spring being attached to the frame behind the dashboard but I've tried it and can't seem to get any tension on lift lever from there. I'm sure all of this is confusing as all get out, but I hope to be working on the mower today if I can get everything else done, then I might be able to provide some decent pics. Thanks for the help.

D

Deleted member 97405

I believe I have that spring but I did not know what it did. So I got 2 pics. #1 pic View attachment 45377shows the bar that comes from the top of the dashboard which is the mower deck lift lever. Pic #2View attachment 45378 shows where I think it might end at on the bottom side. Pic 3 View attachment 45379is just the repeat of the parts manual. But this spring imo would connect to #15 and then somewhere along #19 but not sure if either of those guesses are right. I seem to remember the spring being attached to the frame behind the dashboard but I've tried it and can't seem to get any tension on lift lever from there. I'm sure all of this is confusing as all get out, but I hope to be working on the mower today if I can get everything else done, then I might be able to provide some decent pics. Thanks for the help.

Ok, so here are 2 pics from a new machine on our showroom floor. Sorry the 2nd one is a bit fuzzy, but you should still be able to see where the spring connects.
Looks like the one end goes into a welded bracket, and the other end goes into a notch in the linkage.
The lever on the dash is only a lift lock. Your deck lift linkage is operated by a foot pedal.

IMG_7978.jpg

IMG_7979.jpg

jackislost1

Threads
Perfect. That wil do it. I can handle it from there. Thanks kindly. I'd hate to overstep my boundaries here, but I have a Lx176 with 42 inch piranha mowing deck. I am having some charging issues with it and don't know what to do. Its my best mower but I haven't been able to use it all year. Mind if I tell you what I have done to it and maybe you might have a suggestion for it? Thanks again for the help.

D

Deleted member 97405

Perfect. That wil do it. I can handle it from there. Thanks kindly. I'd hate to overstep my boundaries here, but I have a Lx176 with 42 inch piranha mowing deck. I am having some charging issues with it and don't know what to do. Its my best mower but I haven't been able to use it all year. Mind if I tell you what I have done to it and maybe you might have a suggestion for it? Thanks again for the help.

Your're welcome. I would be glad to help with the LX176. Since that is a different topic, send me a PM.

jackislost1

Threads
Ok I will do that. Thank you very much. I will sit down later today and spell it all out and PM it to you. It will be lengthy but very thorough. Have a good one.