DIY Hustler Raptor SD bumper guard

Hoss45

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since I bought a new 2019 Hustler Raptor SD this week, I wanted to protect the deck until I got used to operating it. It's my first ZTM. It's fun but I need to practice cutting close to stone walls and landscape timbers. So I DIY a bumper guard out of those things you hang in the garage to keep your car from hitting the wall. So far it works well!

Open to other ideas and mods too so let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190817_105545.jpg
    20190817_105545.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 61

BEYTILL

Threads
I bolted on a 1/2” thick piece of conveyor belt to the deck. It’s lasted 4 years and now time to replace.

cleansweep

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got my mower last week and am looking for material to address same issue. To Hoss45, is the guard you put on made of dense rubber, if not I'm thinking it will not last long. Is it adhesive backed? To Beytill, I like your idea, wish I knew where I could find a couple thick pieces of conveyor belt or dense rubber. Wish I still had the old non-radial tire I threw away, might have been able to cut a piece off of it.

Hoss45

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got my mower last week and am looking for material to address same issue. To Hoss45, is the guard you put on made of dense rubber, if not I'm thinking it will not last long. Is it adhesive backed? To Beytill, I like your idea, wish I knew where I could find a couple thick pieces of conveyor belt or dense rubber. Wish I still had the old non-radial tire I threw away, might have been able to cut a piece off of it.

Yes, it very thick...about 1 1/2". I used Scotch high bond two sided tape which I got at HD. I used c-clamps to cure over night. No bolts or holes required. It very dense.

BEYTILL

Threads
I never thought of a tire, I like your thinking. I just sanded down the deck and getting ready to paint. Took a wire basket to the underneath and I cannot believe the amount of rust I took off. I clean it every time I get back and soak it with WD 40. I’ve used silicone spray, Teflon, dry graphite, nothing really works to make the job easier. I’m coating it now with POR 15. Will see. And tomorrow I can paint it and put it all back together.

cleansweep

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, it very thick...about 1 1/2". I used Scotch high bond two sided tape which I got at HD. I used c-clamps to cure over night. No bolts or holes required. It very dense.

Where did you find the 1 1/2" bumper guard material?

cleansweep

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found a blown tire on the side of the road yesterday. Thought it's tread might work for my bumper guard but it was a radial. The metal belting in it made it unusable. I'm going to check with my Hustler dealer to see if they sale a guard for the RSD. I have a lot of rock retaining walls.
Beytill, I am not planning on doing anything extra for underside protection of the deck other than keep it clean and try not to mow wet grass. My Cub Cadet rider was 13 years old and deck was still in good condition. It's deck is not as thick as the RSD.

Hoss45

Forum Newbie
Threads
Where did you find the 1 1/2" bumper guard material?

I found the bumper guard material at Wally's world in the auto section. It's original usage was to put on your far garage wall so when you pulled into your garage you would see how close to the wall your were or you could put it on the side wall to prevent any damage to your car doors when opening. I just re-purposed it. I think if you search the web you'll find it under garage wall bumper guards or drive right guards, etc.

Attachments

• 1557-930.jpg
    1557-930.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 15