John Deere LA110 will not start

Leever2000

Threads
JD LA110 turns over but will not start. Smells flooded so replaced spark plug (needed replacing anyways) still does not start.

Leever2000

Threads
I checked for spark and had a strong spark. But while checking for spark noticed some of the things I did yesterday when problem was realized. I removed the plastic shroud to see if plug wire was degraded and when I removing the shroud I also disconnected the fuel line. Then went out got a new spark plug and put back together but did not reconnect the fuel line. Anyways when checking for spark this morning noticed a strong spark and then did a once over on all that did and noticed the fuel line disconnected so reconnected and started right up. I guess what I was reminded of when troubleshooting is to slow down and recheck some of the more obvious issues. thanks for the help and all is good in the neighborhood! It was the spark plug all along.

Seems like I spoke to soon but cut the lawn with no problems then turned off to take a break and then went to start up again about 20 minutes later and back to the same problem in the beginning turns over but no start.

Last edited:

Leever2000

Threads
I have replaced the spark plug and the battery is fully charged. Started ran and cut grass for about 20 minutes then sputtered and died. Tried to restart and no start, even tried some starting fluid didn't even fire (definitely no spark). It has been sitting since yesterday when last running going to try again here shortly. Thinking it will run for a while then die, have there been any issues when LA110 gets warn that the ignition circuit just doesn't produce spark?

Leever2000

Threads
The lawnmower started and ran for about 5 minutes and died. Sprayed starting fluid in the carb and not even an attempt to start. pulled plug and checked fro spark and nice strong spark. Reinstalled plug and no start. Whats up? No start when plug installed and definitely a spark when not installed.

Leever2000

Threads
If I have spark and fuel what ignition parts have the highest probability of failing?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb? If it is not working properly it may be shutting the fuel getting from the carb to the cylinder.

Leever2000

Threads
I picked up a spark tester this AM at HF to see if there was a difference. I hooked up the tester and the JD mower started right up so I cut the grass while it was running good and about 10-15 minutes later it started to sputter and then died. Tried to restart and no start. Hooked up spark tester and the spark was not as bright but there was a spark. Pulled plug and it was wet and smelled like gas.

Leever2000

Threads
Have you checked the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb? If it is not working properly it may be shutting the fuel getting from the carb to the cylinder.
how do i check the fuel solenoid? Does the solenoid fail frequently?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Solenoids rarely fail, they get gummed up and then will not retract or retract fully.
You test them initially by listening for the click when you turn the ignition on & off.
You do a proper test by pulling it off and watching the solenoid retract.
Most of them will work on any voltage over 6 Volts.
However if the voltage drops lower than that the solenoid will close so the mower stops.
This is the most common thing I see and that of course is not a solenoid problem but a charging problem.
The other thing they do not like is getting AC so when a rectifier fails you can get AC which causes it to flutter.
They need the stable 12V power supply which is why you rarely see one on a pull start engine