L100 John Deere transmission problem

jemret

Threads
I have a L100 in which the 5 speed transmission is making a loud clanging noise when only in 2nd gear. I am assuming something in side the transmission that is dedicated to only the 2nd gear is going bad. All the other gear speeds do not make a noise. I am avoiding using the 2nd gear because it may damage the other gear speeds. I now mainly use 1st and 3rd gear. My question is will the other gears likely be affected by the this defective 2nd gear?

jemret

MowLife

Threads
Sounds like you may have broken some teeth on the 2nd gear set. They run independent so one bad gear shouldn’t effect the others. However if you did loose some teeth they are in the gear case somewhere and may create some damage if they get in the other gears.

jemret

Threads
Thanks for the reply. John Deere owners manual states the L100 transmission is sealed and not serviceable. However there are YouTube videos showing how to open and repair it. Also Ebay has repair kits containing the parts to replace the defective parts. Is there anyone who has gone this route?
Jimret

Last edited: