20 HP OHV V-Twin Oil Pressure switch ????

bugdewde

Threads
Here's my newest powerplant on my Murray 46" rider (Hydrostatic).

20 HP.jpg

Pulled the covers to replace leaking fuel hose, add a fuel cutoff valve, changeout air filter and clean up the cooling fins, etc.

Here's the engine codes I could find.

Briggs Model Codes.jpg

Engine runs great! Starts right up with a little choke and throttle. Idles smooth and doesn't seem to burn too much oil. I got it late last season, but I have used it a bit chopping up leaves (lots of oaks) and I've mowed with it about 4-5 times this season.
I'm a previous owner of a 17.5 HP Opposed Twin Flathead for the last 20 years (98 model). Only reason I ended up with the V-Twin is someone stole the old mower ….. right out of my front yard.

OK … so here's my first question about this engine.
It has a filter looking housing on the side of the block ….. with what appears to be an oil pressure switch on it …… Is this correct?

oil switch.jpg

As pictured, this appears to be unplugged. I'm almost positive this is a low pressure switch. I think I would like to have it operational.
Exactly what wire plugs into this?

I haven't found an unused wire yet … but I haven't really been looking for one (runs great). I'm assuming it goes to the coils to cut fire?
Any help in getting this working again would be appreciated.

Oh.... and can I swap in an oil filter to this engine? Looks like I should be able to remove this assembly, but I'm too afraid to try it.

bugdewde

Threads
Pulled the top engine cover again and there are no additional unused wires/plugs on the engine. Assuming the wiring would come from the ignition switch under the dash and go to the coils then the switch ?????
Not sure where else to look.
Probably should find a wiring diagram first.

MowLife

Threads
I have a v twin Tecumseh that came with a pressure switch with nothing connected to it. In my case I think it was an option for a gauge.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be they just used the wrong sump on this engine. One that's supposed to have a pressure switch. Or they put the wrong harness on it. Factory thing, that I wouldn't worry about.

bugdewde

Threads
So it appears this thing unscrews ….. with a filter wrench (notice the edges). ????? If so, can I swap a filter on here?

Not sure I really need a filter, as my other 17.5 opposed twin flathead B&S lasted 20+ years without one ……. worked great up until the day someone stole the mower out of my yard. Amazing engine!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
IIRC, I tried to get all the stuff needed to install a filter on mine, just because I was mowing sooo much. But that's when I before I actually started working on them. And seems like it was a lot more trouble than it was worth because of the parts needed on the inside.
I just changed my oil twice a year instead of once.