Troy-Bilt variable speed drive problem

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you bent any part of the variable pulley assembly you will probably have to replace the entire assembly. The center sheave may be bent, not allowing it to travel smoothly and pinching one or both belts.

oharris

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you bent any part of the variable pulley assembly you will probably have to replace the entire assembly. The center sheave may be bent, not allowing it to travel smoothly and pinching one or both belts.

It's not the variable pulley that's bent, it's the engine pulley. The variable pulley seems to be fine. It moves smoothly.

oharris

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced the engine pulley, but it didn't make a damn bit of difference. (It was a bitch getting that thing off of there too!) So I guess I'm back to the belt.

Edit, just read the reviews of the belt I got. Lots of people have the same problem I did so I'd say it's definately the belt. Off to buy an OEM belt.

Last edited:

panabiker

Threads
Thanks for the update. I also tend to buy from Amazon and not to consider anything on a mower to be "precision part". In my case, it turn out to be ok with a non-OEM kevlar belt, but certainly will keep that in mind next time.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A belt may not be a precision part, but different manufacturers use different belt angles. Using the wrong belt will result in slipping and faster wear.