Flowering trees

mamaA

Threads
I would like to plant some new trees next spring along the back of our yard. It's mostly sunny. What are so good varieties of flowering trees that grow well in zone 7?

beesnroses32

Threads
You're in luck. I can tell you, but don't ask me how I know. ;) The squirrels would never let me live past "Well, its a long story but..." ;)

• saskatoon berry
  • pacific flowering dogwood
  • Ninebark

mamaA

Threads
We have a lot of Dogwood trees in this area. I was also thinking of maybe a Crabapple, but I've heard they can be very particular about sunlight. I've never heard of a Ninebark. What does that look like?

Threads
I've seen ninebark. Its a small tree like shrub (kind of like a dogwood) with peeling bark and white flowers. And when I say shrub, I mean the category of tree which is not a tree but is not a bush. the pacific dogwood is also considered a shrub. Though its more like a tree. Go figure.

173abn

Threads
MamaA,have you thought about Magolina or Redbud? russ

cren

Threads
Are you looking for just anything that works within that zone or something specific like a shade tree or by size (large or smaller)? How much room do you have to play around with too? I would love to plant more but right now we are redoing some land so I am limited for another year or so before I can break out with my ideas. :)

stuckinnj

Threads
Crape Myrtles. You can get them in various clolors, they bloom for approx. 90 days towards the end of the season. Keeps color alive in your yard. The only down fall, they do require fall / early spring maintenance. These trees like to be cut back (butchered) to grow strong. Lack of pruning will cause the limbs to get too long and heavy. Winters w/heavy snow can cause the limbs to break. My opinion, all worth the trouble as they are great looking trees when in bloom.

cropcircles

Forum Newbie
Threads
@mamaA - Cren is right, you should tell us first how much space is there available for the trees? I personally like the arapaho crepe myrtle for its fiery red blooms and ability to thrive in tight spaces.

Arapaho_220.jpg

If you like pinks there are the cherry trees such as the Okame and Kwanzan.

SallyA

Threads
Dogwood and Redbud are beautiful in the spring! Have you thought about a Flowering Almond? They are absolutely gorgeous. It might depend on where you live if they would grow, though, and it doesn't seem like they flower for very long.