Briggs 19HP LA115 Governor Surging issue

Paul_Aris

Threads
Back Story. Rider ran great last fall but I had to jump start it every time I needed to use it. So this spring I figured I will solve the problem and install a bran new battery. I did however the tractor started right up and then stalled. I could not get it to run unless I poured a little gas down the carb and then it would start and die again. I pulled gas line off carb and had fuel flow when turning the engine over. So I pulled the carburator to clean it. Put it back on and same problem. Not sure why a complete disassembly and clean did not fix it. I am thinking maybe float was not opening and could pin hole in it.

For $20 I ordered a new carb on Amazon. Put it on and it fired up right away. Now It is surging and you can see the throttle rod that comes from governor moving when this happens. If I hold the rod in my hand it will run smoothly. Now what do I do and why a new carb would cause this?

dfbroxy

Threads
This might be caused by a number of different things or a combination of them. You were right guessing carb first, however you may not have solved it by buying amazon knockoff parts. These are bought by individuals in bulk from factory rejects and resold on amazon. Sometimes they work sometimes they dont. Also try adjusting your valves. Also check spark plug. Also the govoner spring may need adjusting. May be trash in your gas tank. New gas filter? Im sure there are other things to check that the experts here will chime in for you.

Paul_Aris

Threads
This might be caused by a number of different things or a combination of them. You were right guessing carb first, however you may not have solved it by buying amazon knockoff parts. These are bought by individuals in bulk from factory rejects and resold on amazon. Sometimes they work sometimes they dont. Also try adjusting your valves. Also check spark plug. Also the govoner spring may need adjusting. May be trash in your gas tank. New gas filter? Im sure there are other things to check that the experts here will chime in for you.

Thanks for the input. I have more information now. I siphoned all the gas out of the tank. I replaced with brand new ethanol free gas. I installed a brand new fuel filter and A new spark plug. Still not running great. So I looked at my carburator again thinking I might not have installed the choke mechanism correctly. This is where I noticed the spring on choke what not connected correctly. I also noticed the plastic piece on the new carb was different than the one I replaced so I took the plastic piece where the choke arm connects off of the old carb and replaced it onto the new carb and made sure the spring was correct so it would retun the choke back to open after the choke was engaged. Seems to run better however now I have a different problem. I still get some surging at mid to high speed unless I move the throttle forward so the choke is about 1/2 way on. It runs great with the throttle pulled down to low speed. What could be causing this?