Toro Timecutter Z 16-42

ERyanH

Forum Newbie
Threads
It has a 16hp Briggs and Stratton engine. A couple weekends ago I went to mow, tried starting and hardly spun it one rotation. Started going through everything it could be and ended up deciding it was the starter solenoid. Took it to my local dealer, they tested it and said it was bad. Got one that isn't quite the same as the other and installed it. Ran fine and mowed my whole yard. Tuesday evening I went to mow again. Started right up, drove out of the garage and revved it up. 3 seconds later it started smoking sputtering and died. Had to choke it to get it started again and ran like complete crap. Idle was rough and anything over 1/2 throttle it would start smoking and die. Took the engine cover off and opened the carb to the air and took the spark plug out thinking it had flooded itself, there was gas all over the plug. Week later I installed a new spark plug since the mower was backfiring when I would shut it off. Started up and seemed to run fine. Pulled out of the garage, let it run at half idle for a while, then wide open. Ran fine wide open for about 3 minutes then same thing. Smoking like it was burning oil and died. Any idea what is going on?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dip the oil.
It will most likely be too high & smell of fuel.
Cause is the flaot needle is not shutting off the fuel supply and the carb is flooding.
Because of on of the most stupid idiotic moronic totally wrong decisions every made by uneducated 1/2 witts who have less than no idea of the fundamentals of engine maintanance & repair, all carbs now drain INTO the engine.
So in place of you seeing or smelling fuel 5 minutes after you have shut down the engine, now it leaks internally, filling the sump with fuel.
Thus a simple job that might involve spilling a cup of fuel now becomes a complicated job involving 1/2 gallon of fuel plus 4 quarts of oil & a new filter.

First the carb needs to be repaired, usually it will be tiny piece of crud stuck under the needle.
Then the engine has to be cranked, plug out to expel all of the fuel that has accumulated in the cylinder.
A warning here that cranking the engine will cause the plugs to spark and if it is warm to hot when you are doing this you have petrol vapour & an ignition source , whoof no eyebrows.

I have some in line spark testers that I use as a spark plug lead extensions so the plugs are a long way from the plug hole
Some have mentioned potting an air duster in the plug hole & blowing the fuel out.
Next you will need to change the oil, at least twice.
I generally do a full oil change with the mower tipped over a bit towards the drain and let it sit for a long while.
Then refill with oit, run the engine for a couple of minutes then change the oil and the oil filter.
After that I test mow for about 1/2 hour then check the oil again , both the level & the smell / feel.
I also check what comes out of the dip stick tube.
If smoke comes out when the engine is turned off then it indicates a blown head gasket which is very common with a hydro lock caused by excessive fuel in the cylinder.

Ain't the EPA really good at protecting the enviroment ?