John Deere x300 issue

tony63vt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello;

I have a John Deere x300 S/N MOX300C049363 with 17hp Kawasaki engine, 224 hours on the unit. The problem I am having is after about 30 minutes into mowing the machine will just shut down. I let the mower sit for about an hour and it will start right up. So far here is what I have done:

New gas cap
Replaced both coils
Complete tune up and changed filters.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Tony

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a pair of inline red spark testers and fit them to the mower.
Then when the mower stops have a look at the spark testers.
If they are both flashing then you have a fuel supply problem

If they are not flashing then you have an electrical problem.

The most common type problem with this symptom is floating debris in the fuel tank forming a plug in the tank outlet .

But the best thing to do is work out which part of the mower is giving you problems as coils can also overheat & stop working till they cool because of a build up under the blower housing is restricting cooling air.
And the same problem can cause a siezure.

tony63vt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get a pair of inline red spark testers and fit them to the mower.
Then when the mower stops have a look at the spark testers.
If they are both flashing then you have a fuel supply problem

If they are not flashing then you have an electrical problem.

The most common type problem with this symptom is floating debris in the fuel tank forming a plug in the tank outlet .

But the best thing to do is work out which part of the mower is giving you problems as coils can also overheat & stop working till they cool because of a build up under the blower housing is restricting cooling air.
And the same problem can cause a siezure.

OK, thank you for the help.

Tony

tony63vt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found the problem, it was the ECM. I checked for spark when the engine just shut down, zero spark. There is a black wire and a green wire that run next to each other on the starter side of the engine, I disconnected the black wire, has a butt connector, and hit the starter, it started right up. This wire goes back to the ECM and looks like it is tied into the coil harness.

Thanks again for the help,

Tonny