Repairs Scag STT61V-27CH wont crank

mervos

Forum Newbie
Threads
Guys,

I need some help. I have a Turf Tiger STT61V-27CH. I finished mowing my lawn and shut it off so I could clean it off. then when I turned the key... Nothing. I get a slight sound from the ignition switch but nothing else. I tried to spark it across the solenoid but that did nothing. I pulled the starter tested it and it didn't seem to work when I bypassed the solenoid using a motorcycle battery. So I installed a new starter. fully charged the battery and nothing. I tried bypassing the solenoid on the new starter and I can see sparks and get a click but that's all, doesn't turn over no spin nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks, Alan

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
how did you clean mower off? good deal Alan. remove battery & take to local auto parts store & ask them to load test battery, should be of no cost to you, if battery fails make sure new battery has enough CCA'S cold cranking amps for your engine, should be in your engine manual. let us know if your battery passes load test, thanks, Alan.

https://www.scag.com/OPManuals/STT/STTOPMANTOC.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=sca...9i60l2j0l3.15883j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

locate your model & serial numbers

Last edited:

mervos

Forum Newbie
Threads
HI,

I just use a small broom to brush off and clean the deck, I didn't use water or anything. it was about to rain so I was trying to be quick and put it up.

Thanks, Alan

mervos

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mark,

You had it right. I took it down to be tested before I read your reply but they had to test it 3 times. it kept giving odd readings. I tested the volts at home from a booster but either the booster is full of it or it was having issues under load as you said. I put the new battery in and it started like a champ. so I spend 150 on a new starter but it was such a pain to install i'm just going to leave it and keep the old one as a spair. Thanks for the help.

Alan