When (why) do you decide on a new mower?

Bean438

Threads
So the govt has even figured out how to complicate something like a lawn mower?

My lord I’ve been educating myself on these auto systems, springs, vanes, thermostats, and,wax thingies, etc.

Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t the manufacturing of these auto choke systems, and the subsequent repair, and replacement of such systems create more of a carbon footprint / environmental impact than the system they are replacing did?

What about modifying these new systems back to the old ways?

Rivets, do the super recyclers have a fuel shutoff?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes running an old 2 stroke for 30 years will be light years ahead of several modern lean burn short life span low pollution 4 stroke mowers when you take embedded pollution in the manufacture distribution & disposal of them.
Most modern engines are only "clean" for 3 to 5 years . There is a sticker on the side that confirms this.
After that it is downhill all the way as the excessive wear in the bore pumps lots of oil into the atmosphere via the breather.
And all of this pales into insignificance when you look at large jet engines that pump out around 100 gallons of unburned Jet A-1 every time they take off and about 1/3 of that every time they land.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No they don’t and personally I don’t think you need one. If you use the off season storage procedure I recommend the need for one is eliminated.

Woody71

Threads
I'm in the exact same position. My Toro 20007 is on it's 17th season. I've had my eye on the Super Recycler for a few years now. Can't justify pulling the trigger because mine still works well. A tab on the bag frame broke off about 10 years ago so bagging isn't an option here (this and the fact that the super recycler series mulches so well may be justification). Wish it would quit but it keeps on going and barely bogs down in high/wet grass.

Maybe stopping in at the local Toro dealer would help my to make the change

Bean438

Threads
I’m in the opposite dilemma. I bag because my mower isn’t good at mulching. I didn’t go to a toro dealer but I was at Home Depot and even “just” the recycler model was obviously a better quality mower than mine. The super recycler would be even better.

But I have a hard time replacing a working piece of equipment.

I’ll leave it up to the mower gods.... as per Rivets idea, I’ll ask around if someone is in need of a used mower. If so the gods have spoken and a new recycler is due.

If not I’ll keep Er going as long as I can.