Engine RPMs?

jccinohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
Trying to figure out what the output RPM is on my BS 126312-0580-B8 engine. Can't find any specs.. It's a horizontal shaft engine off a tiller.

Reason being.. I'm trying to find a grease to put in the gear case of the tiller. JD corn head grease is for 1000 rpm or less near as I can tell. The recommended stuff is like $25 for 8oz and I need 22oz.. Not sure the thing is even going to work, so don't want to spend $75 on grease... I found a pulley calculator, but not sure of the output shaft speed. Thanks!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are usually set between 3200 and 3600 rpm, depending on the application.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Power is generally rated at 3600 rpm or so. What is the general pulley ratio in diameters? Is this a liquid lube or a paste stuff? For testing if liquid and with no load on it you could probably use about any lube, if it all works right drain and fill with the recommended stuff.

jccinohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
What was in there was pretty gloppy.. Closer to a #2 grease. I saw one guy online said the Benalene 920 is #000, but don't believe everything you read on the internet ;) Hard to say what it's supposed to look like since it's been opened twice and nothing put back in.

The small wheel is about 2.75", and the big one right at 9". With 3600RPM the calculator I used put the speed of the big wheel at about 1015RPM.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engine output on tillers is generally a bit lower than mowers and kept closer to peak torque revs so more in the 2500 to 3000 range.
Go to a tractor supplier for your grease.
You should be able to get a 4 or 5 gallon pail for around 10% of the price per oz you are being charged for the small tube.
I buy all of my grease from a farm tractor company near by and the 25 litre drum of marine low tac was $ 200, a 1/2 liter tube of the same stuff is $ 25 at an auto store

tmajor47@hotmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know a lot of you guys might not believe this but, I used to get 9000 rpms out of a 5 hp briggs. Stock block, different cam, rod with bearings, modified stock carb. Back in my go-kart racing days.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you were running the stock con rod you were blessed
most will let go at around 5000 rpm
The first thing we do when making a racing engine is to remove the counterweight & fit a forged con rod.