Any alternatives for JD bagger/chute/leaf vac?

bcemail

Threads
I have a JD L118 mower with a mulching insert. I almost always mulch, but I was going to get the bagging attachments for times when the grass is really long and for when I mow leaves in the fall. We have 1 acre with a lot of oak trees, and I've realized that there are too many leaves to mulch in, as it was smothering the grass.

I was surprised at how expensive it was for some plastic parts. I've been trying to find some kind of alternative, including building something myself. I also thought about just getting the chute portion and coming up with something for bagging, but even that was over $100.

Any other options? Stand alone leaf vacs are really expensive. Also considering a tow behind leaf sweeper, which would also help with all the twigs and acorns. Looks like people use it for leaves, but I think it would fill up so quickly that I'd spend most of my time emptying it.

Thanks!

gotomow

Threads
I am actually going to buy a JD bagger with my X350. I figure that my time is worth more than the time it takes to build a bagging system and thus I'd be out money making one myself. Plus both of these look harder and more time consuming to empty. But they both look functional and I'm sure both cost less out of pocket than the JD bagger.

bcemail

Threads
I am actually going to buy a JD bagger with my X350. I figure that my time is worth more than the time it takes to build a bagging system and thus I'd be out money making one myself. Plus both of these look harder and more time consuming to empty. But they both look functional and I'm sure both cost less out of pocket than the JD bagger.

That's the debate I've been having, whether to waste time trying something like this or just buy something. I might start with just the chute and then figure something out from there. I was hoping to find an aftermarket chute piece to attach but I haven't found anything that's much cheaper than $100, which for a plastic tube is killing me.

Thanks for the links! I had seen one of them before, which got me thinking about making something. I'm always toeing the line between DIY and DIwhy!

Threads
Here in the Pacific North Wet, the grass is wet most of the spring and fall. Baggers do not work very well at all.
Years ago I bought a second hand Sears GT with lawn sweeper.
The mower is long gone, but the 1986 sweeper is used every year.
Makes the flat lawn look like a golf course.