Snapper 5hp Briggs

aarong24

Threads
Hey guys,
Last year my snapper through a rod while I was mowing my girlfriend's yard. I had used the day before with no issue, but her yard was a super steep incline. So, I'm sure the combo of the steep yard and me foolishly not topping it off with oil is what did it. I would like to repaint the deck, rebuild the engine and it get in as close to new condition that I can. I have tried searching on the forum, but does anyone have any advice as to where I find a comprehensive breakdown to rebuild one of these old L-Head Briggs? It didn't knock a hole in the block, but I won't know the full extent of the damage until I open it up. I will attach a photo for reference. It will be the one without the bagger on it.Snapper.jpg

Romore

Threads
Look on the starter housing above the spark plug for the engine numbers, the model will start with 13 if a 5 hp. Briggs manual 270962 is your friend here. That is an orphan series, parts may be hard to find.

aarong24

Threads
Look on the starter housing above the spark plug for the engine numbers, the model will start with 13 if a 5 hp. Briggs manual 270962 is your friend here. That is an orphan series, parts may be hard to find.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it is a 131922-016901. I will give that manual a look over. I have a basic knowledge of engines, but I can follow directions well. lol

Mkala

Threads
With this manual and basic knowledge, take picture of all when disassembling. Post pictures when you have question - or to share your work- and someone here will help you !

I did this with a flat head 5 hp but horizontal shaft here (for a generator), and all turned well ;) Great advices from people on this forum