Ransome Triple Mk4 MAG engine won't run

jbenny2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good evening everyone,

I acquired a Ransome Triple Mk4 lawn mower, it wall left in the hedge in the garden when we brought the house a couple of years ago. Pumped up the tyres and managed to drag it out, put some fresh petrol in and jumped it and it started first time despite sitting outside unused for over 5 years! I spent a few hours freeing everything up and unseizing the brakes and to my surprise it worked and still cut the grass very well. My problem is the engine won't idle slow enough for the centrifuge clutch to disengage, so i have to turn it off, and start it in gear and use the ignition switch if i need to stop, not ideal as i have a lot of fruit trees in the garden and i really need to be able to manoeuvre backwards and forwards without stopping and starting the engine all the time.

The engine is a MAG 2055 SLRX 2 cylinder petrol engine, I'm convinced it has something to do with the carb, which I've had off several times, sent it off to be ultrasonic cleaned and rebuilt, and even swapped for another carb, but it's still the same. The other thing I've noticed is the mixture adjustment screw on the carb seems to have no affect on the engine, i can even unscrew it completely and remove it, and the engine note doesn't change, it's also running quite ritch as there is a lot of black soot around the exhaust pipe. I've run out of things to try so i'm open to suggestions?