Repairing 11.5hp rusty briggs

KenS

Threads
Hi everyone. I'm new here and seeking some advice from those who know much more about this stuff than I do. I am trying to learn more about repairing small engines and I am making this motor my "guinea pig.
I had neglected a snapper riding mower with this briggs and stratton motor on it by leaving it out in the weather for about 3 years. I had only used the mower for one season and it ran great when I parked it...
I tried starting it by spraying a little ether in the spark plug hole...Got nothing. Had spark, so I tested compression. It was only 35 psi. . Rain had gotten into the valve train and rusted things up pretty good.
I have a couple of questions.

1. Are these valves worth trying to save? The intake valve is very pitted. I assume this was caused from the rust? Surprisingly, the intake doesn't leak, but the exhaust valve does. The seats are in good shape, but I think they will need to be lapped.
20190301_200026.jpg20190301_201826.jpg20190304_174230.jpg
2. The cylinder is very smooth and not scratched, but the piston rings are stuck. What is the best way to remove them? I have been soaking them for a couple of days in a gas/seafoam mixture to no avail.
20190302_190751.jpg20190304_195844.jpg
Thanks in advance!
Ken

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Personally I would replace the intake, I would worry about any pieces coming loose during operation and scoring the cylinder. Though it may not happen, I wouldn't risk it.
Is the cylinder a cast liner or the kool bore aluminum?
Try soaking the rings in PB blaster.

Mkala

Threads
Hello,

Thanks for sharing pics and this motor restoration can be really good to learn - or simply to turn wrenches :biggrin:

The intake valve looks really in bad shape, but the important part is where it seal with the seat.
If any valve is pitted where it seat you should replace it.

If valves seats are not pitted you can lap them with new or valves in good shape. If pitted you should use a seat cutter to restore proper surface.

For pistons rings, don't know the best way to free them, but you need to remove them to clean carefully between the pistons lands. Use something softer than the piston itself to avoid damaging it. This will allow the remounted rings (or new ones) to move freely, this is important.

Keep up posted with your progress, always interesting to see a engine brought back to life :thumbsup:

KenS

Threads
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered new valves and a gasket kit. Hopefully, I can bring the rust bucket back to life. Will keep ya posted as I am sure I will run into problems.
This will sound like a stupid question, but where do I find torque specs for my engine? I have looked and can't find them for this engine. It must have been an unsuccessful model because a lot of OEM parts are no longer available. It was built in 2009.

Mkala

Threads
Ok, perfect news valves and good idea, you will need some gaskets too.

You forget to mention model and type of your engine, but you should find good information in "73829159 Single Cylinder Ohv Repair Manual"

KenS

Threads

You forget to mention model and type of your engine, but you should find good information in "73829159 Single Cylinder Ohv Repair Manual"

Thank you! That is a huge help!

Tinkerer200

Threads
Thank you! That is a huge help!

I can send you a Service Manual IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

KenS

Threads
I can send you a Service Manual IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com
Thank you so much, Walt. I sent you an E-Mail.
Regards,
Ken:smile:

KenS

Threads

The model # is: 217802 Type: 0113-B1 Code: 090129ZA
Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.
Ken

Mkala

Threads
It looks like a nice engine, is this a powerbuilt or I/C ?
As Scrubcadet10 ask, it can determine if it has a cast iron sleeve. You can test with a weak magnet inside the cylinder (not too strong, this can leave magnetization and scratch when remove it)