Engine 19HP twin only runs with choke 1/2 on

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If one goes taking apart this carb without know where to go/do, he will take apart the fuel pump and lose the springs
and will not put it back together correctly, have to remove the whole thing, spend a bunch of cash he didn't have to, when all he needed was a socket and an allen wrench.
So I always ask for pics or a model number, so the advice I give will be as accurate as possible, and save the poster as much money as possible.

But that is just me......

helomech

Threads
Particular carbs and particular engines have known problems or know covers or plugs that either need to be removed to be cleaned properly or are best left alone because they are difficult to remove without damage or difficult to reseal and rarely need cleaning behind.
Some of the carbs used on the twins have inbuilt fuel pumps and the fuel pump is more prone to cause the problem described than the carb itself.
Some have removable jets that just push in or screw in while others have jets are fixed and attempts to remove the jet can damage them
Some have screw in jets that need to be removed with an exact close fitting screwdriver or you damage them.
Some venturi tubes have cross drillings that ned to be cleaned, some do not have cross drilings so do not need to be removed and some venturi tubes are cast in or sweated in and can not be removed without damage to them or to the carb.

Then you get to the seats.
Some are removable some are not.

So to give good specific advice and approprite warnings the engine number is needed.

Then you get differences in the understnding of what "cleaning" means.
Some will squirt some throttle & body cleaner down the venturi and consider the carb cleaned
Others will no consider anything clean unless it was fully dissasembled and boiled in an ultrasonic cleaner for hours.

When the thread is read at a latter date by some one who is not sure of what they are doing , it helps them to decide if this is the correct thing for their engine or not.
Thousands of people simply search the site for possible solutions to their problems and never ever post.

Most question could be answered with the single annogram; RTFM but that is not much use to the poster with the problem.
Also model numbers help the techs who oft skim through the forum and occasionally give the correct answer to the wrong question.

Cool, good info. Thanks.

helomech

Threads
If one goes taking apart this carb without know where to go/do, he will take apart the fuel pump and lose the springs
and will not put it back together correctly, have to remove the whole thing, spend a bunch of cash he didn't have to, when all he needed was a socket and an allen wrench.
So I always ask for pics or a model number, so the advice I give will be as accurate as possible, and save the poster as much money as possible.

But that is just me......

I guess I just assume people can put stuff back together. I have been in aviation maintenance all of my adult life. It just come natural to me to put something back together. I can usually put most things together even if I am not the one that took it apart.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just another thought, may not be the carb. I had a twin last summer and we had another on this forum which both turned out to not be the carb at all. Both ended up being a hole in the intake manifold. Even though these symptoms normally lead to a carb problem, don’t over look a lean running condition caused by a bad gasket or broken manifold. Helo, you must remember that 90% of those coming to this forum for help have just enough mechanical knowledge to make them dangerous and that also goes for about 10% of the so called “ I’m an expert because I stay at a Holiday Inn last night”.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess I just assume people can put stuff back together. I have been in aviation maintenance all of my adult life. It just come natural to me to put something back together. I can usually put most things together even if I am not the one that took it apart.

The info in post # 12 should have been helpful to MOST anyone with a mechanical background ! .. :rolleyes:

helomech

Threads
The info in post # 12 should have been helpful to MOST anyone with a mechanical background ! .. :rolleyes:

I didn't click those links. I am more of a just do it type of guy. I hardly use books, and when I do it is just for specific specs. Like gaps, or voltages, that kind of thing.

Hard to tell by typing, are you trying to infer that I don't have a mechanical background?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads

I am kind of on the opposite of this.

I know most folks cannot take stuff apart, and put it back together correctly. So I like knowing what model they have, either by model number, or at least a pic.
I like to tell them what I know to save them time, headaches, and money, if I can.
Otherwise I just do not post much more on it.

This model is an easy fix, if you can catch them before they tear into it, and knowing what they have is needed to help them fix the problem.

That is all.

No hard feelings.

On this model, if they take apart the fuel pump, the springs go everywhere and are lost, so a new kit there is then needed. And putting it is back together correctly is difficult without removing the whole thing, and it would have been fine if they just left it alone. Just trying to help the original poster in the best, quickest, cheapest, way possible.

helomech

Threads
I am kind of on the opposite of this.

I know most folks cannot take stuff apart, and put it back together correctly. So I like knowing what model they have, either by model number, or at least a pic.
I like to tell them what I know to save them time, headaches, and money, if I can.
Otherwise I just do not post much more on it.

This model is an easy fix, if you can catch them before they tear into it, and knowing what they have is needed to help them fix the problem.

That is all.

No hard feelings.

On this model, if they take apart the fuel pump, the springs go everywhere and are lost, so a new kit there is then needed. And putting it is back together correctly is difficult without removing the whole thing, and it would have been fine if they just left it alone. Just trying to help the original poster in the best, quickest, cheapest, way possible.

Cool, thanks. You seem very knowledgeable on these engines. Just always loved taking stuff apart. My parents had to throw stuff away where I could not get to it. If it was electrical or mechanical I would take it apart and try to fix it or modify it even at a very early age. Tripped almost all the breakers in the house when I was about 6 with a hair dryer my move threw away. All she did was cut the cord so I could not mess with it, but that didn't work.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I didn't click those links. I am more of a just do it type of guy. I hardly use books, and when I do it is just for specific specs. Like gaps, or voltages, that kind of thing.

Hard to tell by typing, are you trying to infer that I don't have a mechanical background?

NOPE .. NOT AT ALL ! I too was an an aviation mech U.S.A.F. Jet Eng Mech ( AFSC 43270 ) ( 66-70) B52s & EC-RC 135s , after military on & off for about another 15 years C-130 Hercules (covert transports), Lear-Jet and several others, I was taught to use a manual at all times, ( it was enforced ) to this day, if there's a manual for it, I use it, (including the wifeys carpet shampooer & Micro-wave) it's a proven fact that being complacent, will SOMETIMES lead to undesirable results. ....Just my thoughts ..