Glad I joined the Forum

mdsbuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently purchased a Bolens (1975) H14 that is not running. It spent the last 25 years of it's life in garage. Are carburetors available for this Tecumseh motor?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you gave us the model and spec numbers for the Tecumseh engine, we would be able to help you. Many Tecumseh carbs are no long available, but you might be able to supersede a different carb.

mdsbuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK I will check tomorrow when I'm in the shop. I did see a set of numbers on the engine blower cover, I'm pretty sure that is what you are referring to.
Thank You

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome aboard...

mdsbuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked the engine cover and found the following #s:
HH140-160001 Ser 4072E
Hope this is what you referred to for finding a carb/ or carb rebuild kit. I am very familiar with Briggs and Stratton engines but not these Tecumseh.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please double check that model number. I can’t find any Tecumseh engines with a model number of HH140.

mdsbuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for looking, this Tecumseh has me stumped. I checked the whole engine cover today and only the numbers I gave you are stamped in it. I also checked the manual the previous owner had with it. The manual showed the numbers were near the carb, they sadly are not. The previous owner's Grandfather owned it (bought it new) so he was positive the engine was never changed. I appreciate your looking but I'm thinking I should take the carb apart and see how bad it is. Maybe ................
Also now looks like the ignition switch is in need of replacement. Any ideas of possible replacement for that?
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I did a little more checking and did find your engine, but not spec number. Looks like the carb is number 631763, but no longer available. Have not found a superseded number. There seems to be a repair kit available, number 631765, but I would check to see if your local repair shop can still get them. This manual should be of help to you, even though it does no say it is for an HH140. Keep us posted if you need more help and I’ll continue to see if I can find anything thing else. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Te...0-8HP-THRU-18HP-CAST-IRON-ENGINES-691462A.pdf

mdsbuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets you are the man. I skimmed through the manual and I'm sure that will be most helpful. I knew I was going to have to learn some new stuff with the Tecumseh engine. Basics are the same as the Briggs stuff I've done though. I think this is only the 4th or 5th Tecumseh I've ever worked on, however all the others were simple repairs. This one will require a lot more after sitting so long.
I really appreciate your help.
Mike

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Tecumseh engine section.