Hello and HELP. europa engine

slowlygoingmad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I am trying to get a mower engine working, I moved into a house and found a mower in the shed (with a tree growing through the roof of the shed, so mower needs attention).

The Briggs and Stratton engine is a Europa model - I can't find any threads here that mention it, the model number is 099772 3142 01. Perhaps they named it Europa to please those of us living over the puddle in England?

The engine appeared to be seized but it was only the recoil starter rusted solid so I am waiting for a new one to arrive.
I have given the mower a clean and oiled all the cables and controls, and checked the air filter.

I forgot to put the breather pipe back - so today I took the filter assembly off again and found another length of pipe had fallen off from somewhere - but I can't work out where it goes.

The air filter housing has the pipe to the engine breather - that's OK.
The carb has two places for pipes to connect - one is the fuel line, that's OK the second is where I suppose the other pipe fits - perhaps a breather for the float chamber?
I have looked, and looked again and again but can not see anywhere the other end of the pipe would fit.
I can't imagine a 4" piece of pipe just dangles about, there must be somewhere for it to go within 4" of the carb!
On the parts diagram there is a pipe shown on the carb page, it has a 90degree bend (part number 281201 - breather tube), but the pipe I have is straight, perhaps a replacement. I can't see where the other end of a bent pipe would go either.
I would very much appreciate some help, Spring is just starting up over here - and soon the mower will need to do it's job.
Thanks,

Mkala

Threads
Hello and welcome,

If you can post pics of your carb don't hesitate.

I'm quite surprised too but it's look like the carb has an atmospheric air vent, we can see it on this pic :
https://goo.gl/images/aaiNL2

This tube is 1011 on part list :
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...9700-to-099799/099772-3142-01/carburetor-assy

For sure someone here will know what this is better than me ?

By the way if you are looking for the manual (quicly read, but did not see something about this tube)
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/faqs/browse/antique-engine-specifications.html

Arwing64

Threads
Welcome to the Forum!

The Briggs and Stratton Europa engines are kind of an oddball engine, since they are a little different than the ones found in the US. As far as I am aware, they are a more advanced OHV version of the Quantum which was sold in the US. At the time, OHV engine for push mowers were only found on premium models, and were quite rare until the late 90s. Most still had the old flat-head engines.

The carb should would have one or two pipe barbs. One of them would be for gas. The other one would most likely be used for a primer bulb.

On the parts diagram, I saw a straight piece of hose. I didn't see anything that had a 90 degree bend.

The breather tube is not supposed to dangle freely. It is supposed to be attached from the engine block to the intake manifold or the air filter casing. Most of the time, the breather hose is attached to the PCV breather. The Quantum engines have a bent hose that attaches on a barb PCV to the intake.

Send pictures of the carburetor and where the breather hose is.

slowlygoingmad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello and welcome,

If you can post pics of your carb don't hesitate.

I'm quite surprised too but it's look like the carb has an atmospheric air vent, we can see it on this pic :
https://goo.gl/images/aaiNL2

This tube is 1011 on part list :
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...9700-to-099799/099772-3142-01/carburetor-assy

Well that has solved it very quickly! The image you have linked to is exactly like my engine (give or take spider webs, corrosion etc) and it shows a straight tube just going nowhere, it looks like the bent one in the parts list 1011 is a more fancy version that vents downwards.

So now I know - let it dangle. Tomorrow the recoil starter might turn up, so I won't have to wait to finish assembly now the problem is solved.

Thanks for your time and effort.

slowlygoingmad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Arwing64, the extra info is interesting. I wonder why B&S made this europa engine for over here. The Quantum is found here, which makes it even more strange.

Thanks again,
Tony

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Europea's are a metric Quantum made to conform to European standards.
The most noticable difference is the output shaft is 20mm not 7/8" and all of the fasteners are metric.

Arwing64

Threads
The Europea engines are basically an OHV version of the Quantum. Everything is in metric on those engines.
Most places in Europe have much tighter and stricter emissions standards than the US. That's why we used flatheads on push mowers up until around 2010. Around 2001, Briggs and Stratton stopped producing the old l-heads for lawn tractors and went strictly to OHV. The smaller engines that were around 3.5-6 HP were still flatheads until a few years later they were phased out for the new OHV engines.

Briggs made OHV engines for push mowers starting in the early 90s, but they were mostly for commercial or high-end residential mowers, so they weren't as common. Most people had flat head engines at the time. But really, the Quantum's are a pretty solidly build engine that can last forever if you take care of it and change the oil yearly. The early ones had adjustable Walbro carburetors, but the later ones had non adjustable Nikki carburetors which were a royal pain to deal with, especially if they had an auto choke. They've produced OHV engines since the mid 1980s for the Vanguard engines, which are their commercial/industrial engine.

Mkala

Threads
slowlygoingmad, you are welcome :wink: let us know how is goes with your mower !

Arwing64 thanks for all information. I was able to see brand new push mower with side valve not that long ago... will check this spring if they are still for sale !
Quantum are nice engines nice, and a lot of briggs stratton can last decades if you take care of them. For sure a aluminum bore will not last that long for a pro, but for an home user it's even not a problem. And the old engines did not have plastic camshaft... so I think it can be very rewarding to repair a good old equipment :)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you go to the Briggs USA web site in the support section you will be able to find the owners manual and the parts manual.
To do that you will need the model & type codes stamped into the blower housing or on the muffler heat shield.

If it has numbers electro etched into the crank case just be behind the carburettor then it is a Chinese made Briggs and you might not be able to find the above information.