Looking For Suggestion - Buying a New Riding Mower

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Looking For Suggestion - Buying a New Riding Mower
GT = Garden Tractor as opposed to a lawn tractor.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Looking For Suggestion - Buying a New Riding Mower
Most GT's are built for ground engaging equipment like Snow plows and snow blowers.

mzdrati

Threads
GT = Garden Tractor as opposed to a lawn tractor.

Haha... I see- sorry to be such a "noob".

I'm not so sure about the distinction between Garden Tractor and Lawn Tractor, but a casual internet search tells me that a Garden Tractor is nearly a small car, whereas a Lawn Tractor is like a Go Cart (comparatively speaking). If I started looking for a new or used Garden Tractor, are there small ones with the same footprint as a Lawn Tractor? I live in suburbia, and my storage facility is a 5 X 8 shed (which houses my DYT4000 just fine). Anything I used would have to fit in that shed... Nothing gets stored outside. As an aside- I needed a new push mower and found a used Honda HR214SMA (in case anyone is familiar with these mowers) For Sale at a lawn mower repair shop. It's an 80's vintage self-driven walk-behind mower and I was told by many who are in the know that it's about a million times better than the new "Honda" walk-behinds that one can find at Lowes, Home Depot etc. So I'm not insisting on buying anything new / modern. I'm looking for a good non-disposable option for my application.

By the way- I'm basically the only guy in my neighborhood who cuts his own lawn. Everyone else hires a lawn service. Once in awhile one of the lawn service guys sees me out there sweating and asks why I insist on the hassle when they are literally next door and across the street and can do in 30 minutes what takes me 2.5 hours to accomplish. I got price estimates from them, but the contract has them coming every week from April 1st through Oct 31st, rain or shine whether the lawn needs to be cut or not. There are many weeks when we have dry weather that I skip cutting as to not stress the grass and keep it long to retain moisture, and many weeks toward the beginning and end of the mowing season here in NJ where the grass simply hasn't grown enough to need to be cut, so for $70 I'll continue to be in control of my maintenance and finances... Plus- I kind of enjoy cutting the lawn, and the break it offers from the demands of being a DIY husband, and a father to a 7 year old and a 10 year old.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Haha... I see- sorry to be such a "noob".

I'm not so sure about the distinction between Garden Tractor and Lawn Tractor, but a casual internet search tells me that a Garden Tractor is nearly a small car, whereas a Lawn Tractor is like a Go Cart (comparatively speaking). If I started looking for a new or used Garden Tractor, are there small ones with the same footprint as a Lawn Tractor? I live in suburbia, and my storage facility is a 5 X 8 shed (which houses my DYT4000 just fine). Anything I used would have to fit in that shed... Nothing gets stored outside. As an aside- I needed a new push mower and found a used Honda HR214SMA (in case anyone is familiar with these mowers) For Sale at a lawn mower repair shop. It's an 80's vintage self-driven walk-behind mower and I was told by many who are in the know that it's about a million times better than the new "Honda" walk-behinds that one can find at Lowes, Home Depot etc. So I'm not insisting on buying anything new / modern. I'm looking for a good non-disposable option for my application.

By the way- I'm basically the only guy in my neighborhood who cuts his own lawn. Everyone else hires a lawn service. Once in awhile one of the lawn service guys sees me out there sweating and asks why I insist on the hassle when they are literally next door and across the street and can do in 30 minutes what takes me 2.5 hours to accomplish. I got price estimates from them, but the contract has them coming every week from April 1st through Oct 31st, rain or shine whether the lawn needs to be cut or not. There are many weeks when we have dry weather that I skip cutting as to not stress the grass and keep it long to retain moisture, and many weeks toward the beginning and end of the mowing season here in NJ where the grass simply hasn't grown enough to need to be cut, so for $70 I'll continue to be in control of my maintenance and finances... Plus- I kind of enjoy cutting the lawn, and the break it offers from the demands of being a DIY husband, and a father to a 7 year old and a 10 year old.

Size wise they will have almost the same size. Maybe a little longer and taller but not wider. Deck size sets the width.

(Account Closed)

Threads
By the way- I'm basically the only guy in my neighborhood who cuts his own lawn. Everyone else hires a lawn service. .

Same here...

I enjoy the exercise (walk behind/self propelled-just cut and trimmed this am!) and the finished "product" is WAY nicer than the commercial guys.

Mostly because they use the heavy machines, leave RUTS IN the yard (big time) from running the SAME route every time...

They won't "weed eat" around sprinkler heads either and just blow grass all over the place (vs mulching blade)..

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I won't pay somebody to do anything I can do myself. Mowing is one of those things. I've known women who mowed their own yards into their 90's.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Size wise, tractors go
Real tractors
Compact tractors
Sub-compact tractors
Garden tractors
Lawn tractors.

The last 3 are oft built on the same chassis so can be exactly the same size.
The difference a garden tractor is all steel with little paint but a lawn tractor chassis is all paint over very thin steel.
Some of the better garden tractors will have proper chassis rails but most now days are on the same shape plate chassis as used for lawn tractors.

GT's have bigger engines , a lot better transmissions and most of the levers & controls will have proper bushes, not lust go through an unbushed hole.
GT's will generally have adjustments on tie rods ,real bearings in the wheels & more grease nipples.

Many of them would have been called Lawn tractors 30 years ago before the manufactureres started on their race to build tissue paper trash just so long as it was cheaper than their competitors.

As you may have guessed I do not think much of most modern lawn tractors, basically they are all junk designed too last 5 to 10 years then be totally clapped out.
Simple things like running a wheel into a dish drain can trash the entire steering system

mzdrati

Threads
I won't pay somebody to do anything I can do myself. Mowing is one of those things. I've known women who mowed their own yards into their 90's.

I have the exact same philosophy. There are some things I can do, and some that I can't. I do all of the stuff I can, whether I like it or not.

Can someone offer a suggestion of a somewhat current brand and model of a 42" Garden Tractor with mower deck that might be worth buying (either new or used)?

Anthony
NJ

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The 200 series Cubs are really good but spindles are no longer made & getting in short supply unless one of the after market companies start doing them.
Great spindle set up with tapered roller bearings like that all should be.
After that the 3000 series that replaced the.
The hydros are not as good but the mower is quite sound.

mzdrati

Threads
I'll keep an eye open for that Cub Cadet 200 Series, but I don't see anything for sale (new or used) in my area.

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks again for all of the guidance!

Anthony
NJ