Vanguard 20hp v-twin 351447-1180-A1 95082411

weagle94

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member. just signed up today. I have a 1995 White GT2055 with a 20 hp Vanguard V-twin and the engine needs to be rebuilt. The crankshaft is .005 smaller than spec. Anyone have any suggestions where i can get a used engine/short block/crankshaft & rods? From my many calls and google searches I understand B&G discontinued parts sometime ago. The short block is #499540 and the crank is #807778. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Threads
Let me look up something for you ......... I'll be back in a bit ~!~!

Threads
Well I think I struck out ....... I went to my Briggs distributor and it shows the crank, but there is that chance that the crank is NLA ...... The short block is NLA so that's a scratch out on the list......

What you could do is get some plastic gauge and check the clearance like that ....... 5 thousands isn't that bad, but try the plastic gauge and see what that tells you.....

The closest HP in a new engine is gonna be a 18 HP in the Van Guard series..........

Maybe you could just re ring it and it might last another 10 years ????

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Tinkerer200

Threads
Nobody has the crank are shortblock ..... If the short block would be available it would be close to a grand for it ......

Yeah, need to replace it with a good used Intek, easiest, or Kohler Command.

Walt Conner

Threads
Yes Tink a repower is a choice or like I said earlier, use a plastic gauge on the crank and see how far it's out...... Do you agree that 5 thou is not a lot and a re ring job might be worthwhile to keep it going for a few years more ????

Those Van Guards are really tough engines and can take a lot of abuse ..... that's a 23 year old engine and has seen some work in it's time so far ........

A few bucks for rings and a rebuild gasket set would be the ideal way to go since he has the engine torn down already ....... I have seen worse on a few engines like that and they are still going strong ~!~!

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!~!