Hustler 123349 Discharge Chute Adapter kit

clubairth

Threads
It's amazing that a factory released kit has such a massive safety defect?

Maybe not?

mhavanti

Threads
clubairth,

Remember, the manufacturer was responding to the complaints about the enforcement bar causing clumps. Sometimes one can't see the forest for the trees. In direct correspondence along with them contacting me to discuss my observations, the 2019 deck is different. I've asked to be appraised of the changes thru photos considering the Excel Industries Rep claims they are adopting several of my improvements.

My point: They made an over the deck enforcement bar to keep the deck front out of the blade tip. The engineers weren't told to find a safety solution, they were told to find a collapse solution.

That does nothing to retain any objects from entering the deck cavity. What is it that resides within the deck in all working mowers? A rotating blade that will disengage a piece of meat, ligaments, tendons, nerves, veins, arteries, bone from other parts of the same in less than a thousandth of second.

Shame safety wasn't considered first.

If you know someone that has removed their enforcement bar, do your due diligence and suggest they take a cutter or grinder, cut off the enforcement bar in about two thirds from the top front to back, then weld it back into place. They may just save a family members foot or their kids favorite stuffed animal.

Max

va duc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Vaduc,

If you haven't already cut the enforcement bar. Don't! Cut the enforcement bar a little more than half from the top, slightly below the top of the blades. I cut mine down to .125 (1/8th") below the blade top which is about the bottom of the blade actually. That affords a great deal more safety for the operator and more importantly anyone else that may very well walk up behind you as you turn to the right with your deck discharge chute open.

That over the top enforcement bar does not provide the safety you have gone to the trouble to remove. After speaking to a lawyer about removing the entire enforcement bar with the grass catcher scallop cut into the top of the deck. The owner of the mower is culpable and liable for any and all damages to person and property incurred from blade tips that are exposed approximately 4 inches.

At 18900 SPM that would remove a foot in less than a thousandth of a second. Again, if you haven't removed that bar, don't. Cut it down instead because grass doesn't get caught by the bar when the bar is below the grass discharge. Remember, regardless whatever you choose to do you are responsible for the end results if you harm yourself or others.

Here is how I did mine to prove or disprove the open deck modification. This modification was where I stopped as I proved that entirely removing the bar is not at all necessary.

Safety is our first thought for you and all our other forum friends.

Good luck,

Max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUPaa8JoZJ8&t=350shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUPaa8JoZJ8&t=350s

I have sen this thread previously. Very nice job and the video was very helpful also. Thanks, I will wait until spring and see how the wet grass does with this thing and then decide what to do about it if needed.

mhavanti

Threads
Va Duc,

I'd doubt seriously that you will actually need to do anything to your deck unless it is making sure it is perfectly level side to side and front to back. Unless you are mowing commercially, you can probably wait until late in the day to mow when the grass is dry. If so, do that. The mower will perform well.

Regardless which method you choose to go with, good luck Sir.

Max