toro recycler won't self propel

Ladygirl

Forum Newbie
Threads
sigh ,, this was given to me worked ok and I only use it to mulch the leaves ( have almost 2 acres) but only use it for about 1/4 of that ,,,,well as I stated won't do what its suppose to, belt was changed wheel is fine.
When I lift it up the front wheel doesn't turn,, I was wondering if i took it to a shop is it worth putting the money into it to get it fixed,
It is very hard for me to pull the string as I have hand and many other injuries , so I was looking at a cubbie push start, I have a cubbie tractor, Please help open to any advice,
Thank you

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please provide us with the model and serial number for the Toro mower, on a silver tag on the back of the mower. This will help us give you a better answer, both to your problem and whether it is worth fixing.

Ladygirl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please provide us with the model and serial number for the Toro mower, on a silver tag on the back of the mower. This will help us give you a better answer, both to your problem and whether it is worth fixing.

model number 20016 serial number 240073740

]

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
there is a belt, then a differential, then a gear that drives the wheel. I have one like it and when you push the handle down that speeds up or slows down the mower. If I don't push it down it doesn't move much and if I want to go fast I push it forward more. They are nice mowers with a Honda engine. The rear wheels drive which is nice because front wheel drive don't work as well. I watched my late father struggle with a front wheel mower where the rear wheel mower was easier to work for him. There is also an electric start model. My next door neighbor has one.

Manuals are at https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails/?id=28323

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a recycler which is 14 years old. I work for a Toro dealer and work on these units everyday and in my opinion you should not get this unit repaired, but use that money to replace the unit. At 14 years old you have gotten the best years out of this unit and it will start to nickel and dime you to death. I suggest that you look at a Toro model 20374. It has electric start and a better self propel system. Will serve you well for many years to come and is a better mower than a cub.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
... I lift it up the front wheel doesn't turn...

I just read your post again. you asked why the front wheel did not turn. ... It is rear wheel drive, not front wheel drive. That is why. As for starting it, have a tune up done and use fresh gasoline.