Motor ran, then I laid it on its side to install pully. Tied up now

Ida-Boy

Threads
  • / Motor ran, then I laid it on its side to install pully. Tied up now
I see we are neighbors. I'm in Petersburg.

LOL. If I would move my mailbox in front of my house I would be in Petersburg. We use to have a Lambertville phone when we moved up here 20 years ago. I call it tri corners.

Ida-Boy

Threads
Could be something went amiss with the counterweight when you turned it over. Hopefully when you pull the engine apart it will just go back together. Take lots of pics and pay close to the timing dots on cam and crank. If you need further please post make and model from engine so we know what your looking at.

I don't think I am going any deeper into it. I am not familiar with internals so as I see it now I have 2 bad motors not just one.
This motor is a model # 253707, type 0173-02 and code 86060110. Was a good sounding engine when it did run for that 5 minutes but my machine is well over 10 years old, Swisher Model # RT105441. I had to fab up a 3rd wheel up front because it kept breaking eyebolts and I have far too many projects around to occupy my time.

Threads
Ida Boy did you take the flywheel off like Bert mentioned ?????? Just laying that engine on its side should not caused this... Unless the counterweight inside was not bolted and slipped out of place......

Those engines are way easy to work on... The sump/crankcase comes off easy and then you can see all of the internals on it ~!~!

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
LOL. If I would move my mailbox in front of my house I would be in Petersburg. We use to have a Lambertville phone when we moved up here 20 years ago. I call it tri corners.

Side Car go look at the engine for him..................

SidecarFlip

Threads
Side Car go look at the engine for him..................

I could, I guess...

I believe his issue lies in the top of the motor, under the flywheel, not on the bottom or under the head (Not sure why he would pull the head anyway). I think either the mag dropped a magnet segment or there was a loose bolt up top that when he laid the motor on it's side, the bolt dropped out and got attracted to a magnet segment and is now jamming against the alternator windings or the ignition trigger.

Super easy to get the flywheel off., take the nut off and wack the crank end with a brass hammer and they usually pop off. If not, a 3 jaw puller works. Had that happen to a Kawolski 27 vertical V-Twin. It dropped a segment and locked up tight. Was under warranty so I had the local mower shop order me a new flywheel but in the interem, I pulled the flywheel, removed the loose segment and put it back on. Ran fine, just a bit down on charging current. Ran that way until the new one came in and then I swapped them out and lived happily ever after.

Reading posts on here, it appears to me that most people on here with issues, tend to ignore the obvious and look elsewhere. Small engines are rock simple. Not much to break really. Not complex either. If you don't make it complex, it stays simple.

Myself, I would have started with the flywheel but that is just me.

Ida-Boy

Threads
Now with that said you have my attention: I did use the compressor to blow away a few pieces of what looked like copper wires pieces from the outer edge of the flywheel. With your statement of something possibly getting under the flywheel and causing an issue has me thinking that I may have to go and pull it to if anything confirm your statement. As little as I know about this engine I will have to check and see if there is a YouTube video showing the removal of it. I do have a big enough 3 jaw puller if needed...
See what you did? You got my mind engage again, LOL. I'll see what I can do.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Now with that said you have my attention: I did use the compressor to blow away a few pieces of what looked like copper wires pieces from the outer edge of the flywheel. With your statement of something possibly getting under the flywheel and causing an issue has me thinking that I may have to go and pull it to if anything confirm your statement. As little as I know about this engine I will have to check and see if there is a YouTube video showing the removal of it. I do have a big enough 3 jaw puller if needed...
See what you did? You got my mind engage again, LOL. I'll see what I can do.

Take the shroud off (pull the spark plug wire first), expose the flywheel, remove the nut and wack the end of the exposed crankshaft with a brass hammer and the flywheel should come off. I bet you have something lodged between the magnets and the stator or trigger and if one of the mag segments let go (highly unlikely), just remove it and the corresponding one across from it (to maintain static balance) and put it back together. You might loose a little charging current but that is it. The magnets are usually epoxied on to the flywheel inner bore.

I would have done that first thing instead of last myself.

Ida-Boy

Threads
Well SidecarFlip you were right: issue is on top of the motor. Look what I found.

This is what I found when I turned the flywheel over when I took it off.

under 2.jpg

Doesn't look like there is any hope in repairing. Nothing to attach a new stator to.
Really tore up the flywheel.

under Flywheel.jpgunderside.jpg

Threads
Just like Bert said in post 5 I think.... Take the flywheel off......

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now that is going onto a swisher with no electrics so you can just leave the whole mess off. It just means you will have to pop the battery onto a charger overnight when you finish mowing.