Repairs HRX 217 wheels locked when pulled backwards

Dave Honda

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rear wheels lock when pulling mower backwards except when engine runs. I've taken wheels off and checked, cleaned and lubed the ratcheting drive gear making sure it was put back together properly. I put a vise grip on the axle and got it to turn a bit, just a little bit. (It kind of gave and then stopped, I didn't force it anymore.)

I was thinking it might be the axle shaft is stuck to the bushing but that doesn't explain why I can get it to roll backwards when the engine is on.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Thanks

Threads
Rear wheels lock when pulling mower backwards except when engine runs. I've taken wheels off and checked, cleaned and lubed the ratcheting drive gear making sure it was put back together properly. I put a vise grip on the axle and got it to turn a bit, just a little bit. (It kind of gave and then stopped, I didn't force it anymore.)

I was thinking it might be the axle shaft is stuck to the bushing but that doesn't explain why I can get it to roll backwards when the engine is on.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Thanks

Yes I do ..... Keep running it like that or take the whole tranny out and clean up all the bushings and the shafts really well...

I have a good friend that just made a video on your issue not long...... In fact it was 2 vids..... I will post the links for you as soon as I find them ~!~!

Plus Tard Mon Ami ...................

Dave Honda

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I'm watching the video now.

Threads
Here is part 2 of the video...........

These videos should help you out......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

GAJ527

Forum Newbie
Threads
This has happened to me before: the cause is DEBRIS gets caught under the Drive Belt jamming the wheels when trying to pull backwards. The first time it was a piece of wood, today it was a rock. I quickly learned there was no access to the top of the pulley so I used a 1 1/2 inch hole saw and opened a portal into there from the back side of the mower. There is an inspection slot so you can just see the belt and pulley; drill the hole to the left of that. I was quickly able to use a flat head screwdriver and got the belt to move; FIXED! I used the piece out of the hole saw to make a door; hot glued to a sheet of of aluminum and duct taped it back in. They built the mower deck as one piece to you would have to pull the transmission to get to the pulley otherwise.

Roymg

Threads
Yes I do ..... Keep running it like that or take the whole tranny out and clean up all the bushings and the shafts really well...

I have a good friend that just made a video on your issue not long...... In fact it was 2 vids..... I will post the links for you as soon as I find them ~!~!

Plus Tard Mon Ami ...................

I saw this video too and I think he came up with the transmission being the problem. Never found the fix on a second video.