now power high end / black smoke

mr.farmall

Threads

mr.farmall

Threads
That doesn't look like a Nikki carb ???? It must be an older carb than what I am thinking of..... I have the kits for the Nikki in stock and the gaskets sure don't look like those.......

Here is a link to a video.......You can skip the comedy skit in the beginning if you want but Taryl is a funny guy...........Is this your carb ???

https://youtu.be/emsafzhGLC0

Let me know Mon Ami ~!~!

"Taryl Fixes All" hit it right on the head. funny video, but more importantly, he isolated the problem to just what I have. that gasket has two of the holes almost plugged. the utrasonic cleaner cleaned every port and passage, but it didn't touch this plugged gasket. I'm excited to get it corrected and try it out latter today.
I have the oldest model with the jets in the aluminum not in the plastic tubes.

mr.farmall

Threads
What is your code number ?? that would be the numbers after the model and type #'s

the code # is 001016YG.
here are some additional photos. the nikki carb, the black emulation tube, the plugged gasket before and after cleaning. two hole were almost plugged and a third one was partially plugged.
it's going to start raining and I need this mower today, so I will put it back together and see if it works. If not, I'll be looking for new parts.

Attachments

• 2018-10-01 001.jpg
    2018-10-01 001.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2018-10-01 002.jpg
    2018-10-01 002.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2018-10-01 003.jpg
    2018-10-01 003.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2018-10-01 004.jpg
    2018-10-01 004.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2018-10-01 005.jpg
    2018-10-01 005.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 10

mr.farmall

Threads
Re: no power high end / black smoke

Success! runs great now.
Thanks so much to everyone for your comments and knowledge.
the plugged holes in the gasket were from the rubber deforming and not from debris. I think this needs replacing. but for now, I have to use it today!!
Now another problem, while putting it back together, cracked the gas tank! Bummer! I didn't think it got hit very hard, maybe it's getting brittle!

Threads
looks very much the same, in fact it looks identical, but mine has a plastic tower type 4 hole tube over the jets. couldn't really tell if the one in the video had it or not, but I'll check better tomorrow. mine does have nikki molded into it, but I dont remember a gasket of any type like he pulled out. will check better tomorrow.

Yes you have the older model carb.. I am so used of the newer ones coming in all the time.... Your engine is almost 20 years old..........

Glad we could help you fix your issue.... Remember don't $***** a brick when you go to buy a new kit for that carb .....

Those kits run 75 bux.......... You might could get away with just that gasket .................

mr.farmall

Threads
Your engine is almost 20 years old..........

Glad we could help you fix your issue.... Remember when you go to buy a new kit for that carb,
Those kits run 75 bux.......... You might could get away with just that gasket .................

Thanks again so much. I'm not familiar with your posts, are you a repair shop, do you have a web site? Next in line is an oil change and filter, tank it up with fuel, and get the yard looking good again for my sweet wife.

I'm thinking I need to tear it apart latter and replace this gasket and at least the one on the bowl also.

Threads
Thanks again so much. I'm not familiar with your posts, are you a repair shop, do you have a web site? Next in line is an oil change and filter, tank it up with fuel, and get the yard looking good again for my sweet wife.

I'm thinking I need to tear it apart latter and replace this gasket and at least the one on the bowl also.

Yes I own a shop and I am a Brigg's dealer.....

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
BE SURE you use LOC-TITE on the screws holding the butterfly plates to the shafts... ( BLUE,.. NOT the RED ) don't want to "feed" those screws to those "innards" of the eng. had good advice ...... SHOP prices and CONTENTS of kits, be aware of the "schitt-kits" out there, especially from Evil-Bay ........ also if ya can't find a used ( or new ) tank we have videos of repairing them... :thumbsup:

mr.farmall

Threads
also if ya can't find a used ( or new ) tank we have videos of repairing them... :thumbsup:
I looked at lots of peoples attempt to repair plastic gas tanks. read comments and instructions. But wasn't satisfied with any of them. most of them used epoxy or an epoxy product like the past mix products. But testimonies a few weeks latter showed that they just didn't seal well and continued to leak down the road a ways.
I could not find the videos you mentioned here on the site. I guess I just don't quite know how to navigate this blog well, but I did get it fixed.
It is made out of polyethylene. Just so happens that milk jugs are also made of polyethylene. I cut one up into strips to use as a welding rod filler, then used a soldering iron (a very large iron 1/2 inch wide) to melt the rods and tank together. getting it just the right temperature was really tricky. Too hot and it turned clear and ran or dropped, not hot enough and it wouldn't join completely. It was surprising how much filler I had to use, probably most of a one gallon jug cut up!
After an hour of trial and error, I finally got the hang of it and it turned out really well. even looks decent! But I think that if it cracked so bad in one spot, it's going to crack in another.
When it cracked, the two parts separated and warped really fast, in my case, in just a couple of hours. this left the cracked edges not aligning nor touching well.
I know that milk jugs I use in the green house also get hard and brittle and after a couple of years or so, end up breaking easily when bumped. I suspect that old polyethylene gas tanks do the same. Mine was a clear/white tank, not a black tank, it had turned to a yellow.
thanks again for your knowledge that made it work!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I looked at lots of peoples attempt to repair plastic gas tanks. read comments and instructions. But wasn't satisfied with any of them. most of them used epoxy or an epoxy product like the past mix products. But testimonies a few weeks latter showed that they just didn't seal well and continued to leak down the road a ways.
I could not find the videos you mentioned here on the site. I guess I just don't quite know how to navigate this blog well, but I did get it fixed.
It is made out of polyethylene. Just so happens that milk jugs are also made of polyethylene. I cut one up into strips to use as a welding rod filler, then used a soldering iron (a very large iron 1/2 inch wide) to melt the rods and tank together. getting it just the right temperature was really tricky. Too hot and it turned clear and ran or dropped, not hot enough and it wouldn't join completely. It was surprising how much filler I had to use, probably most of a one gallon jug cut up!
After an hour of trial and error, I finally got the hang of it and it turned out really well. even looks decent! But I think that if it cracked so bad in one spot, it's going to crack in another.
When it cracked, the two parts separated and warped really fast, in my case, in just a couple of hours. this left the cracked edges not aligning nor touching well.
I know that milk jugs I use in the green house also get hard and brittle and after a couple of years or so, end up breaking easily when bumped. I suspect that old polyethylene gas tanks do the same. Mine was a clear/white tank, not a black tank, it had turned to a yellow.
thanks again for your knowledge that made it work!

Check this out, I have further info if needed ...... Boo

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/47559-P