now power high end / black smoke

mr.farmall

Threads
Hello
I have a mower with a B&S 21.5 v twin 407777 0128 e1.
About a month ago it started to load up the engine, almost as if it were chocked, while cutting tall grass, spewing black smoke. I throttled it back and it when back to normal. finished cutting without further troubles. Since then it has loaded up at high throttle even without the blades being engaged. A couple weeks ago with only medium throttle every time it hits a somewhat heavier cutting load, the engine loads up again, but will always clear up when throttled back. But now it is to the point that I can only throttle it half way before it starts loosing power and spewing black smoke regardless of the blades engaged or not.
I have pulled the carburetor. the throttle and choke work easily and well. It's been cleaned with an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner in a mixture of "simple green" and water. It looks really nice,( didn't look so bad to begin with). blew out the passages with low pressure air. all looks well. The float works good, doesn't have any gas in the float and the rubber shut off seal looks great. The only thing I was able to see was the tiniest bit of debris in the bottom of the bowl next to the electric shut off valve.
I will put it back together tomorrow.
Spark plug was a little fouled with a little black soot on the electrode, but not much. I've cleaned it up and have a spare. Air cleaner is in good shape, almost new.
I hope cleaning the carburetor will help the situation, but many of you would have a better knowledge of what is happening.
Any suggestion would be helpful.
Thanks Rex

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Have you checked for gasoline in the oil, which would be raising the oil level, and thinning the oil? If your float bowl overfills, gasoline will run into the crankcase. A band aid fix is to install a fuel shut off valve in the line and shut it off every time you stop the engine. Better to fix the problem of the overflow, IF that is the problem, and also install a shut off.

I have seen this exact thing happen two or three times, and every time, it is gasoline in the crankcase causing it.

mr.farmall

Threads
Have you checked for gasoline in the oil, which would be raising the oil level, and thinning the oil? If your float bowl overfills, gasoline will run into the crankcase. A band aid fix is to install a fuel shut off valve in the line and shut it off every time you stop the engine. Better to fix the problem of the overflow, IF that is the problem, and also install a shut off.

I have seen this exact thing happen two or three times, and every time, it is gasoline in the crankcase causing it.

Thanks for the tip. I took this info and just pulled the dip stick, oil looks good, not thin, doesn't smell like gas and is a little on the low side. when this is resolved, I think it needs an oil change.

Threads
Mr, Farmall do you have the 2 jets in your carb or just 1 ????? You are running rich, too rich...........

mr.farmall

Threads
Mr, Farmall do you have the 2 jets in your carb or just 1 ????? You are running rich, too rich...........

it looks to me like two jets. First picture it the bottom turned upside down. Second picture it the input of the carb toward the air intake. I don't see any way that it can be adjusted.

Attachments

• 2018-09-30 002.jpg
    2018-09-30 002.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 2018-09-30 004.jpg
    2018-09-30 004.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 18
Threads
That doesn't look like a Nikki carb ???? It must be an older carb than what I am thinking of..... I have the kits for the Nikki in stock and the gaskets sure don't look like those.......

Here is a link to a video.......You can skip the comedy skit in the beginning if you want but Taryl is a funny guy...........Is this your carb ???

https://youtu.be/emsafzhGLC0

Let me know Mon Ami ~!~!

mr.farmall

Threads
That doesn't look like a Nikki carb ???? .Is this your carb ???

looks very much the same, in fact it looks identical, but mine has a plastic tower type 4 hole tube over the jets. couldn't really tell if the one in the video had it or not, but I'll check better tomorrow. mine does have nikki molded into it, but I dont remember a gasket of any type like he pulled out. will check better tomorrow.

Threads
Well I looked your engine up and sure enough it shows that gasket kit I have in stock , but that gasket around the emulsion tubes is different than my gasket Mine is made like a double figure 8 side by side...... There are two different gaskets for certain year models..

I thought something looked different........ Oops I made a mistake...........

What is your code number ?? that would be the numbers after the model and type #'s

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Acts like a high speed jet issue. O ring around the jet cracked allowing fuel to be pulled around the jet.