I have a craftman GS 6500

dinnie

Forum Newbie
Threads
MY craftsman 6500 now will not start, turn over the engine. I have replaced the starter and still have the same problem. When I turn on the riding motor I hear a stump and no motor turn over.The old starter will show the top of the starter spindle winded up to the top of the starter, and left in that position. After I replaced with a new starter the new starter did the same thing. the new starter spindle will wind up to the top of the starter and stay in that position. I have tried two different batteries and both good batteries get the same result. How to bypass the solenoid to test if the solenoid is bad. I hear you can turn the motor key, and use a thick screwdriver to touch both poles on the solenoid. Can someone tell me does this test whether the solenoid is bad???What else can I check too see why my riding motor will not start?????:mad:

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
MY craftsman 6500 now will not start, turn over the engine. I have replaced the starter and still have the same problem. When I turn on the riding motor I hear a stump and no motor turn over.The old starter will show the top of the starter spindle winded up to the top of the starter, and left in that position. After I replaced with a new starter the new starter did the same thing. the new starter spindle will wind up to the top of the starter and stay in that position. I have tried two different batteries and both good batteries get the same result. How to bypass the solenoid to test if the solenoid is bad. I hear you can turn the motor key, and use a thick screwdriver to touch both poles on the solenoid. Can someone tell me does this test whether the solenoid is bad???What else can I check too see why my riding motor will not start?????:mad:

pull the spark plug/s and see if motor will turn over...that takes the compression load off the engine.

firmly place screw driver across the two large nuts on the solenoid to bypass it...(firmly because it will arc)
you only have to turn the key if you are trying to start the engine.
just to see if it turns over the engine...leave the key off

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will be better off turning the engine by hand rather than the starter motor.
If it goes clunk try turning it backwards.
If it goes clunk again in the same position then you have an alternator or crankshaft problem.
If it tuns for 1 & 1/2 turns in either direction then you have a cam problem.
If the engine has a counter weight using the starter could smash the cases.