JACK: THE NIMBLE LAWN MOWER REPAIRMAN

bill897

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was driving around Oxford, MI looking for a Lawn Mower Repairman and a lady told me about "Jack", 873 Glaspie,3rd house on right, off Drahner Rd at M23. I brought my lawn mower to him. It was a broken "Rotor Piece". He said it's a common part, go to "True Value" Hardware Store and see if they have it. I got it for 15 bucks along with screws. I had to go back a second time to get the right bolt. I came back and my lawn mower was done. He said he found the right bolt and was repairing loose odds and ends. I said how much will that be? Jack said, "20 bucks, that aut to be enough." I gave him 40. Talking about the best lawn mower repairman you can find. Try him! :smile:

LandN

Threads
Nice story,i always like to support the 'jacks' in different fields that they're in whether its mowers, radios, electronics, etc.

noma

Threads
HI Bill 897

Great story glad to hear about it ,wish he was a lot closer and i would be stopping there too check him out. But to far away.:smile:

bill897

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's never too far away. If you have some real problems with the mower, he'll repair everything. It's like
he has to do the best job or else. Jack's got a good conscience. It will bother him if he shortchanges you. Just give him your lawn mower for an hour. Jack'll play with it. Turn it on. Repair this. Repair that. My Cub Cadet never ran so good. He said, "You'll need to put in some more oil. It's low." I could swear he repaired my drive on the thing. It's a walk behind. It's never too far away, when you're getting the deluxe treatment at a minimum cost. He's like overqualified for the job, but he needs to work; just to work. :smile:

jeff

Threads
There are a lot of us "Jack,s" around. Find us, don't go to the fancy high end shops.

benski

Threads
With regard to post #4; yes, MI is too far away for a mower repairman if you live in WA state. That being said, it's great that you found someone who can work on the darn things and cost less money than a new mower! Our local shops go between $50.00 and $65.00 an hour, and it obviously doesn't take too long to end up totalling out your beloved mower, or other equipment.

themowerguy

Threads
No offense to any of the fabulous people out there who do this for others, but I happen to work for a mower repair shop, and I just wanted to remind you that for every "Jack" out there, there are several dozen who don't know a carburetor from a cheesecake. I have no problem with the people who don't want to pay the high prices I charge...but I charge those prices for a reason.

We go to manufacturer update schools, have the breakdowns, have the torque specs, have the correct tools, and can make sure that repairs are done RIGHT, with the right parts. Also, we can be held accountable if there is a problem with a repair we perform. I couldn't even guess just how frequently my customers complain that their "Jack" didn't know "jack" about mowers.

benski

Threads
No offense to any of the fabulous people out there who do this for others, but I happen to work for a mower repair shop, and I just wanted to remind you that for every "Jack" out there, there are several dozen who don't know a carburetor from a cheesecake. I have no problem with the people who don't want to pay the high prices I charge...but I charge those prices for a reason.

We go to manufacturer update schools, have the breakdowns, have the torque specs, have the correct tools, and can make sure that repairs are done RIGHT, with the right parts. Also, we can be held accountable if there is a problem with a repair we perform. I couldn't even guess just how frequently my customers complain that their "Jack" didn't know "jack" about mowers.

Your reply is well taken. By the time you keep decent labor around, insure everything, ship the government 33% of what you take in, buy parts, pay shipping, etc. there is precious little left over.:frown: And when was the last time this particular "Jack" went to the Briggs recertification school, as you said? It is a moving target, especially in these financially challenging times.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
As a fellow mower repair shop I came across something a few years back that goes something like this.

Tier I dealers are the dealers (sometimes single employees operations) that have a gross sales level of up to $500,000 a year. the Jack's of the trade fall into this category and are the dealers that will spend the extra time to do the job right the first time and also have the highest profit margin and the best customer service and can work with a customer as far as what work is fair.

Tier II dealers are the dealers between $500,000 and $1,000,000 are the dealers that have to hire more employees and usually have to expand there buildings and have a lot more overhead ( on average like 70% increase) and don't have the resources to be as customer friendly. profit margin drops considerably and will go belly up within 12 months if they can not get to tier III status. Owners may not even be able to cash there own pay checks.

Tier III dealers are the dealers over $1,000,000 annual sales that have enough income to cover all expenses but profit margin drops to something like 2%. That's something like $20,000 retained earnings for the business to do unforseen upgrades and repairs.

benski

Threads
:eek: That's enough to make you want to get out of the business altogether! A 2% ROI isn't something that will help much.:frown: And I certainly believe the stats you brought up.