JD STX38 is not cutting all the grass?

BashRipRock

Threads
Hey guys. I have been helped several times on here. I've got something I have never encountered before. I got this mower at the beginning of the season. I kind of just got it from a guy of a guy kind of deal. Runs great. I put on new deck belt, new PTO switch, new blades, new muffler, and some missing fasteners. I finally got the mower leveled and mowing well about a month ago. No issues. Until my last 2 mowings. I have a small backyard. I used to mow it with a JD Walk Behind until I got this unit. I mow in 1st gear. The last 2 times when I would start mowing I would look back and some of the grass mainly in the middle of the deck was cut some, but more liked pushed over. It only does it when I enter into the grass. It measures about 5ft in length, maybe less where this happens then everything is fine. When I get to the end and turn into another piece of grass it will do it again. Throttle is running at full speed. The only thing that I notice is it seems like the blades aren't turning fast enough? Belts are in proper tension, everything is turning freely etc. So it leaves me to go back over those spots in the opposite direction the mower takes care of it. I am sure if a plane were to fly over which happens often probably thinks I'm drunk or crazy. I don't mind going over it again because my yard is so small, but would like to get it figured out. Any assistance or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!!

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey guys. I have been helped several times on here. I've got something I have never encountered before. I got this mower at the beginning of the season. I kind of just got it from a guy of a guy kind of deal. Runs great. I put on new deck belt, new PTO switch, new blades, new muffler, and some missing fasteners. I finally got the mower leveled and mowing well about a month ago. No issues. Until my last 2 mowings. I have a small backyard. I used to mow it with a JD Walk Behind until I got this unit. I mow in 1st gear. The last 2 times when I would start mowing I would look back and some of the grass mainly in the middle of the deck was cut some, but more liked pushed over. It only does it when I enter into the grass. It measures about 5ft in length, maybe less where this happens then everything is fine. When I get to the end and turn into another piece of grass it will do it again. Throttle is running at full speed. The only thing that I notice is it seems like the blades aren't turning fast enough? Belts are in proper tension, everything is turning freely etc. So it leaves me to go back over those spots in the opposite direction the mower takes care of it. I am sure if a plane were to fly over which happens often probably thinks I'm drunk or crazy. I don't mind going over it again because my yard is so small, but would like to get it figured out. Any assistance or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!!

there is a problem with the middle spindle/blade

check that the bearing is good and spinning freely.

BashRipRock

Threads
Thank you for your input. My deck is a 38" with only 2 blades. Is this still a possible issue with only having 2 blades? Since the spindles aren't making any new noises, what is the best way to check out this problem. Thank you again!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure that the blades are on the right way round ?
The part number goes up and on the other side is "grass Side".

BashRipRock

Threads
Well, bertsmobile1 that is a really good question. That is something I will have to check. We are currently receiving the remnants of a hurricane that made its way from the Gulf of Mexico here to Ohio. Supposed to have about 6 inches. I do not have a garage here on the house. Just a shed I am able to store all my stuff in. It's supposed to be done raining here Tuesday. So, just maybe I can take a peak underneath on Wednesday. Thank you so much for your response. You were a tremendous help on my previous pto electrical nightmare. Which is fixed and working properly. How are things in Australia?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well, bertsmobile1 that is a really good question. That is something I will have to check. We are currently receiving the remnants of a hurricane that made its way from the Gulf of Mexico here to Ohio. Supposed to have about 6 inches. I do not have a garage here on the house. Just a shed I am able to store all my stuff in. It's supposed to be done raining here Tuesday. So, just maybe I can take a peak underneath on Wednesday. Thank you so much for your response. You were a tremendous help on my previous pto electrical nightmare. Which is fixed and working properly. How are things in Australia?

Well a bit if that rain would not go astray.
We just got 1/2" over the past week which makes us 32" short so far this year.
OTOH plenty of time to help others here.
numbers are near the hole for the bolt.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads

Do you leave your blades running all the time or are you cutting them off between each pass/turn around?

hollydolly

Threads
Engage blades with motor off and then check tightness of belt.

BashRipRock

Threads
I will admit if I make a mistake. I sure did. I'm actually embarrassed to tell you I had the right side blade installed upside down. How I am not sure. I finally got around to pulling out the deck and cleaning it off. I checked and there it was. DUH!!!!!!!!! First time for everything I guess. It's cutting the grass fine now. I'm confused how it worked this long before it showed up? Who knows. Onto the next project. Which will be replacing the starter and solenoid. Went to start it today and click, click, click. Removed the old starter and solenoid. The solenoid came apart in pieces. It basically froze up. The starter turns and engages easily. Sounds pretty good too. This has a Kohler 12.5 hp engine in it. Time for a little internet searching. If anyone has a favorite online place to get one, please let me know. I'm not giving John Deere $300+ for a new one. Good night folks it's been a long day! Hope you had a good laugh out of this. Thanks as always.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most of us have done this also. All the blades I have changed and only a few upside down. But it happens. The worst one was the front deck mower with high lift blades that I turned on to check if they were working on my own yard. The dirt that flew out was very impressive. Took 2 months for the spot to grow back.

Now if you want help finding that part we need the engine model number.